Lead piece found near old civil war prison site

skullshoals

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not a large enough piece to really identify but due to the history of the site I thought I'd at least throw it out there. It was a steam mill in site in the early 1850's and closed around the start of the war, then the building was a make-shift prison for union officers, then the ruins were bulldozed and it was an agricultural site in the 1960s and 70s. So this could be anything.

photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Sometimes, to identify an unknown object, we must first eliminate some of the ID possibilities.

I mention the following possibility because you live in the Atlanta area, where civil war artillery activity happened. At first glance, because it is a piece of thick, curved lead "belt" with smooth flat sides, it resembles a broken-off piece of an exploded civil war artillery shell's lead band-sabot. But that cannot be what it is, because the "inner" side of its curved body is "plain," instead of having attachment-ridges or notches needed to attach a lead belt onto the projectile's iron body. Also, does not show any cannon rifling-marks on it, which WOULD be present on a lead band-sabot from a fired artillery projectile.

Another possibility is a broken-off piece of thick lead "pipe-joint seal" from antique cast-iron drainpipe plumbing. I mention that possibility because you said there were buildings on that that spot in the mid-through-late-1800s. Because I worked as a Plumber's helper for about a year, I've seen antique cast-iron drainpipe lead seals. That is what the object you found looks like to me... except, such pipe-seals do not have the knobby projection we see on the outer side of your find. So, I have to discard the second ID-possibility.

I'm sorry that I cannot tell you what the object is. All I can do is tell you two things that it isn't. I hope that helps at least a little bit.

Upvote 0
Hmm, well that's pretty good reasoning. I'm impressed. (And it gave me a couple new things to research and learn about.)
Thanks for taking the time.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back