Lead item found in Union Civil War Camp

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a flattend ball rolled around two smaller lead pieces that we're rolled around Cotten. It might be a fishing weight but seems complex for that. Any ideas?
IMG_20171202_211254102~2.jpgIMG_20171202_214058245~2.jpg

Also appears there are tooth marks on the up side. I just cant figure it out. Not sure if it is a war relic or post war.

Upvote 0
Home made fishing sinker. Tooth marks where he bit down on the lead to clamp it to the fishing line. I've done that when I was a young kid and had teeth.

Upvote 0
Home made fishing sinker. Tooth marks where he bit down on the lead to clamp it to the fishing line. I've done that when I was a young kid and had teeth.

LOL, Me too! But what made me think it was different was the 2 smaller lead pieces inside. Maybe it was to weight from sliding on line maybe. Just seems to complex.

Upvote 0
Make sure there’s nothing inside! I had a piece of lead like that, and when I unfolded it, well.....ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512340823.390299.jpg

Upvote 0
I'd be reluctant to argue with a maritime explanation offered by someone called BosnMate!

Upvote 0
I found five rolled up pieces of lead similar to yours one slow relic hunting day. Mine were also found in a Civil War camp. I almost tossed them in my scrap lead bucket, but decided to unroll them with pliers as I had nothing to lose but five rolled up lead tubes. They all turned out to be flattened rolled up minie balls. They are on the far right of the picture below. You might want to unroll yours. You never know what you will find.

Attachments

• Poker Chips.JPG
    Poker Chips.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
I found five rolled up pieces of lead similar to yours one slow relic hunting day. Mine were also found in a Civil War camp. I almost tossed them in my scrap lead bucket, but decided to unroll them with pliers as I had nothing to lose but five rolled up lead tubes. They all turned out to be flattened rolled up minie balls. They are on the far right of the picture below. You might want to unroll yours. You never know what you will find.

Those are awesome. I think I will unroll it carefully and take a better look. THANKS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back