✅ SOLVED Lead filled disk\plate? Button?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this the other day in the yard of a house dating to the 1890's, however in an area that could go back to mid 1800's. It appears to be the worlds largest button! ha It feels like its lead filled and about 2 1/2" in diameter. The back has a bump out that looks to have a channel that goes through it to attach it to something maybe. I started to pick out the channel, but the lead was brittle and I didn't want to break it off.

Front:
IMG_20141103_085913946.jpg

Back:
IMG_20141103_085826203.jpg
IMG_20141103_085929976.jpg

Side view of back: Can see on either end where it appears to have a channel that goes through the bumped out piece.
IMG_20141103_085854485.jpg

Any ideas!? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I just added "Rosette" to my "lead filled" search term and I see ones that are similar. But I just see ones with a metal hook cast into the lead... nothing with the backing like this one. Could it be a Rosette?

Upvote 0
It is an antique clock's pendulum-weight. The main ID-clue is the wide flat "tunnel" through the hump on your disc's back... that is where clock-pendulum's long shaft fit through to attach the disc. The clock-pendulum weights on the shafts in the photo below are "fancier," but they shed light on what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• clock-pendulum-weights_fronts_TN_postedbyTimekiller_1.jpg
    clock-pendulum-weights_fronts_TN_postedbyTimekiller_1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
It is an antique clock's pendulum-weight. The main ID-clue is the wide flat "tunnel" through the hump on your disc's back... that is where clock-pendulum's long shaft fit through to attach the disc. The clock-pendulum weights on the shafts in the photo below are "fancier," but they shed light on what I'm talking about.

Cannonball Guy, I think you might be right. Your suggestion gave me some better search terms and I found some similar images. Although, most pendulums I saw have a "tunnel" that goes through the center, a few styles have the "tunnel" off the back like the one I dug.

fig6.jpg
fig7.jpg
b230245.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's impressive how different people see the stuff we dig as something totally different. I was stuck on this being some sort of button or rosette... and was toothpicking the front just hoping for some detail to be revealed.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back