✅ SOLVED Lead button of some sort?

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac (w/ Garrett Pro Pointer)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This seems like a button but it is very heavy for its size, it is also soft. It was slightly bent and I slightly bent it (with my fingers) to see if it was "lead like". If it is a button, why would it be made out of lead as opposed to tin or some lighter, less damageable material? The picture without the ruler is showing a clearly marked 3 in the material. It is identical front and back, the three is printed above the three on the other side (if you flip the coin horizontally the three is in the same location).

Sorry about the white balance differences, used my iPhone.

IMG_0471.JPGIMG_0470.JPGIMG_0469.JPG

Those are curtain or coat tail weights. Sometimes you will find them with a number 3 or 4 on them. They definitely can go back to before the civil war.

Upvote 0
Awesome, that would be great if they were that old. Any way to get a general idea? My house was built in 1892 and I found it under where I pulled up an old patio.

Upvote 0
Awesome, that would be great if they were that old. Any way to get a general idea? My house was built in 1892 and I found it under where I pulled up an old patio.
These often show up as Civil War coat weights although they are still made today. . I have tried to find a way to determine old or modern. Some of the modern curtain weights seem to have a small circular mold injection mark. You might find an old post discussing this with pics. I lost everything when my computer froze. http://www.textol.com/d_11.asp

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree curtain , and Victorian dress weights! The CW coat weight (aspect) is new to me , learn something new everyday , love this forum , happy solving , Shawn

Upvote 0
also used for skirt hem weights used in the 1700s

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back