Lead bars?

MOGARDE

Oct 2, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First time I've found anything like this and didn't know if someone could provide insight on the letters and what it could be used for.
The lead bars are around 13" long, 3" deep and a little over 2" high. Appreciate your help/knowledge.
IMG_4376.jpeg

Upvote 11
First time I've found anything like this and didn't know if someone could provide insight on the letters and what it could be used for.
The lead bars are around 13" long, 3" deep and a little over 2" high. Appreciate your help/knowledge.
View attachment 2113015
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

Nice find and very interesting . Were they buried ?

Interesting. I have found lead ingots about the size of a deck of cards, but nothing that big and never anything that was marked. Cool find!

Were they anywhere near an old facility that made paint or industrial coatings at one time?
I wonder if S G is “standard grade”. ?

View attachment 2113015
Cool recovery on the ingot.
Must of sounded quite loud.

It could be a number of things like Linotype 4% tin, 12% antimony and 84% lead for casting.
It could very well be 50/50, or 60/40 mixture of tin/lead for soldering
Also just lead for casting of weights

Each have a different value for the application, and for recycling.
For example soft lead is worth 40 cents a pound and Tin is worth $4.00 a pound (Scrapmonster quote)
To resell it on the market for casting weights the average price for ingot is $2.50 a LB.
So on the quick sale $2 seem to be a average asking price.

BTW what does this ingot weigh?

Pretty neat find. Maybe now you should continue the quest that's gone on for centuries.

Alchemists from China, India and Europe were for centuries obsessed with the transformation of base metals (particularly lead) into gold. They sought a mythical substance, called the “philosopher's stone,” to accomplish this task, with no success.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back