Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I dug this lead ball down at a field that was used as a fairgrounds for at least 100 years.

At first I figured a musket ball until I saw the loop and piece of a chain. It isn't any type of chain shot as the chain is very thin (similar to jewelry).
If it's meant to be worn, it seems strange to have it be made out of something as heavy as lead. I'm kinda stumped. Any ideas? The diameter is around 1.25 cm. Here it is next to a dime for a size comparison:

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Fishing tackle maybe. ? Is there a pond near by. ?

Upvote 0
I don't think it is a fishing sinker. It could be to a pull chain to an old light switch.

Upvote 0
Agree on the sinker. I acquired quite a few from my grandfather in the 1960's. Not sure how old they were when I got them though. A guess would be the 1940's-50's.

Upvote 0
Frog who got rid of his wife... Ball and chain sorry I had to go there!!!

Upvote 0
The only problem with assuming it is a fishing sinker is it has a link of chain attached like you would see on jewelry or a pull chain for a lamp, a fishing sinker would have fishing line or a swivel attached.

Upvote 0
Except... these sinkers were often used with chain connections or swivels. They were also used by securing a small wire ring or loop that went through the loop on the sinker. The fishing line was then over-hand knotted to the loop/ring, and then continued on to the hook. This way if you got snagged up, the wire loop would bend open to release the weight, but you would retain the hook & bait. But it wouldn't surprise me that Grandpa also used his vast sinker collection as a light chain pull as well! Here's a newer version commonly called a Drop-Shot sinker.DropShotWeights_Assorted_9265-1.jpg
sinkers1.jpgsinker2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Except... these sinkers were often used with chain connections or swivels. They were also used by securing a small wire ring or loop that went through the loop on the sinker. The fishing line was then over-hand knotted to the loop/ring, and then continued on to the hook. This way if you got snagged up, the wire loop would bend open to release the weight, but you would retain the hook & bait. But it wouldn't surprise me that Grandpa also used his vast sinker collection as a light chain pull as well! Here's a newer version commonly called a Drop-Shot sinker.View attachment 1336311
View attachment 1336298View attachment 1336299

Yep I actually use all the lead I find water hunting to make new drop shot weights.100_5316.JPG100_5320.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Throw that one on a line and catch a big 'ol bass! Use the merc as a teaser!

Cheers man

Upvote 0
I know most everyone here thinks it is a fishing sinker but it could also be a bell clapper. That might explain the chain link.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back