Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told at one place they didn't have any .45 long colts cause the government was buying them up. The military hasn't used that round since the Indian War era. I figured they were using the materials for other rounds though, which could result in a shortage of non-military type ammo. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that everybody's not out to get you.

That's interesting.
The whole thread is gone...

yeah Rginn, I'm sure 'if' the gov wanted to buy the ammo they would go into your local store to get it. you don't think they could get it directly from the mfg?

or maybe they wanted to pay the state sales tax

I'll clarify that jeff-gordon. They were supposedly buyin them from the manufacturer, so they never made it to the store. I am just tellin you what the sales clerks at Wally World were tellin us at the time. Never said I believed that story. Strange about the post. Perhaps the government is fixin to make a move on .22 shells or the ever popular combat ready .410 shell.

well considering i was just at wal mart and the sehlves were empty except .270 and shotgun rounds idk

If they cant take your guns away they will stop manufacturing bullets so what good are guns without bullets. Just a thought.

They might have it but are only selling to new gun buyers. Who would buy a new gun without ammunition.

Last edited:
In my town, the shortage is because of the "government's buying it" rumor.
Every old boy in the area is filling his pick up with ammo.
This info came from the store owner himself.

Went into Walmart last night. Guy said that the night before they had finally gotten in some 22LR. They had 500 and 1000 round boxes. They were gone in one hour. Not sure of the total they had. I read in the Western Outdoors newspaper yesterday that the Calif. Wildlife people are fixin' to propose making lead shot illegal for ALL types of hunting. That would include dove, quail and turkey hunting. If this comes to fruition, and in this state everything with a tree-hugging label does, I figure ammo manufacturers will be coming out with a new type of shot for dove in sizes like 7-1/2 and 8's. It will likely be pretty pricey as well. Then there are those that have a large stash of bird shot that they use for reloading. That will change their thinking as well. And then there is us......my small circle of "so-far-we're-legal" folks. I figure we will be felons soon because we will NOT be turning in ANY weapons so we are also going to continue to use lead.......LOTS OF IT! They say there isn't room in the jails for the criminals they already have so they won't have room for all of us either.
RG.........I knew in my heart you were following these posts although you have been able to remain pretty quiet. Smart man. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back