Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Brooke has a Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Late 1800's Cross SaloonToken

I hunted a property last week that a 1800's house once stood. I was only there for about 30 minutes to scout and found this F. Probasco good for 5 cents 316 Main St token. I did some research on it and a guy by the name of Frank Probasco ran a saloon at 316 Main st. Kansas City Missouri in the late 1800's. His brother also ran a different saloon at 4th and Main St.

Attachments

• SAM_1565.JPG
    SAM_1565.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
  • SAM_1566.JPG
    SAM_1566.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 220
Upvote 8
Wow. That is way cool. Don't recall having seen any shaped like a cross. Congrats.:icon_thumleft:

That's one cool token, haven't seen one shaped like that.

Everyone keeps telling me they never heard of a cross token. Does anyone think it might be a rare token and possibly worth something?

Good find. I was hoping to go to Kansas City this summer to visit my cousins who live off Ward Parkway and take my detector with me but I could not make this year. Have you ever been digging around Westport or the Wordell house? That's where my cuz lives in that area.

Everyone keeps telling me they never heard of a cross token. Does anyone think it might be a rare token and possibly worth something?

It's a cool find, but I doubt they were mass produced like that...it looks to me that someone hand cut it like that for some reason (see upper right-hand corner that cuts into the token) meaning it is probably a one-off.

Awesome token! Hope its a rare one and worth some $$$. :thumbsup:

Looks to be a test peice maybe from before the mass production.

Very cool, and unique !!! Congrats :headbang:

super cool. I'd bet that one is worth some bucks

Coolest token I have seen posted on here... BIG Congrats on that find! I am sure someone will be able to get you value somewhere. Might want to see if there are any local token
collectors in the area up there who may have a few books to double check for you.

Great find. I love finding tokens, especially from local merchants, as I'm a fellow KCer.
Some years back, I found a Hatters token from 5th and main. I wonder if after a long day of sewing, the suit makers stopped in for a beer there? :-)
Congrats....

Last edited:
Very good post Mackaydon. Exact same token, it seems.

Great find in that token, OP. I keep searching for an old one. Good luck on your return dig.

Wow, fantastic token! Definitely unique, and one of the most interesting ones I've seen dug. Major collectors piece, I would guess....

That is a very cool token. I just wonder what 5 cents at that saloon would have bought back then, perhaps a pint, maybe a shot of whiskey or a good cigar. Very cool.
A big congrats on that score.:icon_thumleft:
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back