Last Thursdays hunt, one I am really tickled with.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Last Thursday I was able to hunt a new section of a friends farm that I had never walked before, and then proceeded to re-walk the sections that I had already walked a few weeks earlier. Items #117 thru #131 came from the new area, and I was happy with the days walk after finding the little grey chert bifurcate #120. I almost missed it as it just looked like a little waste flake until I poked it with my lucky walking stick. It was item #133 that really made my day though, as I found it in an area I had already walked over earlier last month. It is made of a grainy maroon colored chert and heavily ground on the base. There is a small bit of one barb missing, and it has fine serrations on its blade. I would type this one as an Amos point, and the largest Amos I have found to date. HH 060514 finds resized.JPG#138 in situ again.JPG#135 in situ again.JPG#133 in situ yet again.JPG#133 in situ again resized.JPG#130 in situ again.JPG#124 in situ again resized.JPG#120 in hand.JPG

Upvote 0
Really nice finds there! :icon_thumleft: That #120 (last photo) sure is an odd looking one with the barbs on the side.

Good hunt returns there Red. So which one is your favorite and why? I like them all

Good hunt returns there Red. So which one is your favorite and why? I like them all

Thanks folks.
Hey Rock, it is #133 that is my favorite. Due to the difficulty of finding suitable lithics around here, the majority of points I find, are re-sharpened until they are expended, or are the rejects they discarded during the initial knapping process. It is unfortunately unusual for me to find a point that looks to be unmodified from it's original form like I believe #133 is. I am also partial to all the local early archaic forms, Palmer, Kirk corner notched, Amos, and Charleston, with the Amos's being my favorite of all.
I think #124 the jasper side/corner notched point would have been a Kirk, but I suspect it was discarded during manufacture and never used, as it is thick, hopelessly curved, and didn't undergo the final step of having the base ground before hafting.

Hey RED! I'm late to the party, but man, you did great! And I love the 2 you mention in particular. You had a great day, my local friend! HH- Yakker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back