diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were found last August while on vacation in KY..They were found in a tobacco field after the burley was cut.All were found on top the ground or sticking out of it.I'm unsure what the small rock next to the quarter is.I'll add a couple of close-ups,maybe someone knows.Maybe it isn't anything.I'm not sure about the oval shaped flat rock either but it looked interesting so I kept it.Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Lets try this for the 5th time.here's the pics-

Attachments

• 2004 KY-finds.jpg
    2004 KY-finds.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 909
  • !cid_000701c53bc3$5ec8b300$6125d942@rob.jpg
    [email protected]
    25.3 KB · Views: 890
  • !cid_000801c53bc3$5ed97be0$6125d942@rob.jpg
    [email protected]
    25.9 KB · Views: 883
  • !cid_000901c53bc3$5ed97be0$6125d942@rob.jpg
    [email protected]
    26.4 KB · Views: 879
The grooved thing reminds me of a arrow shaft straightener that I saw on another website. The flat thing... no idea. The top item looks like a knife or flesher as they are refered to. Any body else?

Thanks Texaco,that sounds possible(arrow shaft straightener) I never thought of that.It has definitely been used for something,it has been worn into the shape it is in now.I guess we don't have too many indian artifact hunters on here,since you've been my only reply.Maybe no one's ever saw one of these before???? ???How about it?Anybody else??

Well, as a flint knapper and an Arrowhead Collector I have to agree with the above posts. However, the groved stone may have been used to dull the edges of knapping projects to allow for a better flake. If you try to flake a sharp edge chances are the edge will crumble and be difficult to repiair. If the edge is dulled, with a groved stone, and then struck using pressure flaking or percussion techniques you will get a better, sharper flake. Here in PA most of the arrow shaft working stones I have seen are flat stones with holes in them that allow to bend an arrow shaft in a specific place to correct a curve. But Indians on KY didn't do the same things as Indians in PA so maybe the groved stone is indeed an arrow straightener. Nice finds though!!!!

interesting finds!!! the little rock almost looks like an bow end-piece.. they are usually made of antler or bone though and are longer.
the flat stone looks like a smoother. don't know for sure because i'm used to Texas finds. hope you find out for sure... haven't been point hunting since last month... dont look very often, just when i happen to be around a midden. i think i'll go today 'cause THE FEVER is on me again...
H.wideeyedH. searcher

The small rock could be an abrader used in knapping to dull edges to recieve the next blow. Or it could be a whetstone to sharpen metal blades. The flat stone is a mano and it is used with a metate to grind. The mano being the small stone to fit your hand. Cool finds. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back