Attachments

• NC Button.JPG
    NC Button.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 457
  • NC button back.JPG
    NC button back.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 450
Upvote 0
Whats the backmark and can you get a closer picture?

That is a North Carolina state seal button. If you can read the backmark, or provide a clearer photo of the back I can narrow down the time frame for its manufacture.

Great find!

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Thanks, both you guys--the back reads "GOLDSBORO RIFLES". I can try and get better pictures, but I had so much trouble getting the first ones to fit the forum, I can't promise you. Thanks again--Jack.

jhamner said:
Thanks, both you guys--the back reads "GOLDSBORO RIFLES". I can try and get better pictures, but I had so much trouble getting the first ones to fit the forum, I can't promise you. Thanks again--Jack.

Ahh! That's all I needed to know. You've found a GREAT North Carolina button! It is early CW, made by Scovill Mfg. Co.

In Tice, it is NC204 A1. This is the rare backmark, and this is the NC button to find. Albert lists its rarity value at RV35.

From Tice "The Goldsboro Rifles were founded at the end of 1859 in response to John Brown's unsuccessful Harpers Ferry, Virginia raid. Buttons bearing the unit's distinct title were put on prewar uniforms, and were worn early in the Civil War. The unit later served as Company C of the 9th North Carolina Regiment... The backmark is a favorite of collectors..."

GREAT find! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much, BuckleBoy! I really appreciate you taking the time to relate this info. to me! Jack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back