🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Large Wrought Iron Object - What is it?

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Pointed Object 1.jpg
    Pointed Object 1.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Pointed Object 2.jpg
    Pointed Object 2.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Pointed Object 3.jpg
    Pointed Object 3.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Pointed Object 4.jpg
    Pointed Object 4.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 35
Possibly a final off a flagpole.
What state/county did you find it?

Upvote 1
Look pretty close to the top finial for a large sign such as Gas and Oil company.

Upvote 1
Possibly a final off a flagpole.
What state/county did you find it?
Yes, it does look like it was designed for something (a pole?) to be inserted. It was recovered in Florida. Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 1
1'' sand point see red item in pic.
a9f46ead8179e9903f5d1c1a90875a47.png
I like this idea. I wondered if it was made to be driven into the ground. So, is the sand point for wells? Can you let me know its purpose? Thanks very much for posting.

Upvote 0
To me it's some sort of projectile that resembles a harpoon.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I like this idea. I wondered if it was made to be driven into the ground. So, is the sand point for wells? Can you let me know its purpose? Thanks very much for posting.
A sand point is for hand driving a well in sand with a high water table., also called a well point. they won't work in soil that has bedrock. see if the hole has threads , if not it's not a sand point.

Upvote 2
A sand point is for hand driving a well in sand with a high water table., also called a well point. they won't work in soil that has bedrock. see if the hole has threads , if not it's not a sand point.
I disagree with the thread comment. There were many sand points that were one-piece (tip welded to perforated section). The threads would be to attach to the first length of pipe to the sand-point assembly.
This made driving more consistent, instead of mashing threads at the tip.
So, IMO, threads would not be determining factor. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Upvote 1
This was found at a site that was occupied by military personnel (Navy and Marines) starting in the early 1800s. Any ideas what it is? It's really heavy.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.
10 inches is pretty long for a finial but I don't know what it could be.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back