Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Attachments

• aajan1.JPG
    aajan1.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 407
Does look like and old milstone but its pretty rough. could it be the cover stone for a well maybe???

Upvote 0
Maybe. It has some square holes on the outer sides of it too, by the edges, just not showing up too good in the pic. They are about 3/4" deep into the rock, about 2" X 2".

Upvote 0
Neat find, I'd guess it to be a mill stone in the rough. Roughly shaped but not yet finished. I liked the Fred fFlintstone thought as well. Great find, Two Dogs

Upvote 0
Don't know about the rock, but I'd guess the cane to be a Veterans Administration variety...I have one exactly like it *lol*

Upvote 0
The reply by cedarratt seems plausible as it could be a well cover although most wells were hand dug and larger in diameter. Maybe a cistern cover. Cisterns usually caught rainwater from the house roof and the square hole could have held a hand pump or the drain pipe. Great old relic whatever it turns out to be.

Upvote 0
Thanks everybody for your input. Lots of old houses in the area, a lot of history here.

Got a kick out of the Flintstone's suggestion! :D

Upvote 0
This is definately an unfinished mill stone. See photo.

Attachments

• Levi Jackson SP-McHarques mill 2_200px.jpg
    Levi Jackson SP-McHarques mill 2_200px.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
You said that you found this near water right? Well there was probably a grist mill there at one time. So, I would keep checking for more. There are a lot of people who collect them. They might be worth the hunt. The previous photo I sent you is of Mchargues Mill at Levi Jackson State Park in London Kentucky. The mill has been restored and I have gone in and bought fresh stone ground corn meal for my corn bread. It was delicious!!! At Mchargues Mill they have the largest collection of mill stones in the country. Google Mchargues mill and check it out.

Upvote 0
Definitely you should go detectin there, as well as in the vicinity on drier ground! I found my first 1700's silver coin less than a quarter mile from an old mill! They were also attractions for previous generations (picnics, playing in the creek and under the millwheel, etc.). PLEASE let us know what else you find there! Don't get frustrated; just keep pounding the surrounding areas with the detector.

Best of Luck,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back