Large Lead Bullets Need I.D. Help

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I was digging in a hillside and found all kinds of lead , shotgun lead to these , I saved these in My Good Junk bag ... Looks like it was a popular Target shooting spot? Any Idea's about these 3 the first 2 have a nice white patina while the long one just looks lead... Thank's for Your Help. Also these are the best measurements I could get w/ a handheld rule... IMG_4582.JPGIMG_4588.JPGIMG_4590.JPGIMG_4577.JPG

2 are very common and designs still used heavily in modern day. The long one is a wad cutter for 45acp, 45 long colt, could really have been anything in the 45 family. The short one is .40 most likly a 40S&W newer cartridge designed in the late 80s and started production in 1990 for the FBI. Very common cailber in the modern civilian market. The cone .56 is of odd caliber. I would say its a semiwad cutter but it is different. Not to sure on that one.

Lead oxidizes quick in the right conditions. I have a box or 2 of lead round balls for my muzzleloaders that got wet and look like they came out of the ground despite only being a couple years old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back