Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I found this first piece years ago and assumed it was part of a Victorian necklace even though it's bigger, thicker and heavier than the necklace components I've seen or found before.

P1110125.JPG

Now, fast forward to this past summer when I found this one which is roughly the same size and weight but a different design.

I actually found it loose but attached it after finding the whole thing on my next signal.

P1110124.JPG

Here's what I found next to the loose piece......

P1110122.JPG

It's a good solid weight and obviously is not related to jewelry. The only thing I could think of is from a clock where the weights hang but the reverse is exactly detailed as the other side. There's two holes at the top for attaching it to something.
Here's a closer shot of the other side of the previous photo.....

P1110130.JPG

So, exactly the same on both sides. I tried to find the third dangle but no luck.
I'm pretty sure I've found other dangle parts over the years and now know they belonged to something like what I found here.
The only thing left to find out what the heck is it?
Thanks.
Dave.

Whatever this turns out to be I think will solve another old mystery (the bird/bat decorative thing) in this link;http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/320473-decoration-dump.html
Was the dangly part attached to the center when found, or put there after you found it? The reason I ask is that on the second page of the above link Erik in NJ shows a diagram which seems feasible for some such items, but not as much if that dangly piece was in the center (I hope the picture clears up what I mean).

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding nhbenz. I put the loose piece on the center chain because it was more open than the other empty link.
One dangle was attached to the end chain when i dug the whole thing up. I assume there was a third dangle but understand your question.
The one I attached could have gone on the other end and something different could have hung in the center. :dontknow:
I'm checking out that bat thingy right now.

Upvote 0
Yes, that bat thingy is very similar. One difference is the top piece has the two holes like mine but the lower piece (bat) has one hole through head and the three links at the bottom for the dangle pieces.
My object has two top holes and three dangle chain links.
So, it's safe to say the bat had three dangle pieces that may be similar to one in my first picture and the other two dangles attached.
The lamp theory is very possible.
I'm going to look for more similar dangle pieces in my collection just for the heck of it.

Upvote 0
It looks like part of a Victorian brass hanging oil lamp. During that period of time, hanging lamps had all sorts of 'do-dads' for decoration. Here's a pic of one with a similar hanging bottom piece. Neat find, Breezie
VictorianOilLamp.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back