Large copper, batwing buckle, Ring, and other miscellaneous relics.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a while with a hunting buddy today. We started at a home that was built in 1832. I made a few good recoveries here including a nice large sized batwing buckle.

011.JPG

Soon after that I found an interesting ornate brooch.

008.JPG009.JPG

The only other thing I found at this site other than a 1941 wheatie was a ring. It was 6 inches deep. At first glance it looks kind of like a junk ring but it seems to have been plated at some point and there is some writing on the inside although I can't make out what it says, even with a magnifying glass.

005.JPG006.JPG

We then moved on to another site that was just a foundation in a cow pasture field. I didn't do too well there. I only made a few finds and nothing too significant... just a 1946 wheatie and a suspender buckle....so we decided to move on again. We ended up at a site we've hunted before. An early 1800s site. I found a small silver plated spoon, a button, a couple pieces of a brass bell and a portion of a heel plate with a club design (from a deck of cards)... I've found the heart heel plate before but never the club one.

012.JPG013.JPG

The next signal was a sweet one. It was in the side yard well over 100 feet from the house. (its a pretty big yard). and it read up as a solid half dollar signal (92-93 VDI on the VX3) It was pinpointing at 4 inches deep. I dug a big plug due to the really good signal. Saw a big copper coin in the hole.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Unfortunately I can't get any detail off of the copper but the VDI seems to indicate US coin.... the colonial coins tend to ring up a little lower on the vdi scale in my experience.... so I'm thinking draped bust maybe...with no detail... of course I can't be sure. I put the coin on the ground after recovery and it rang up as a solid 86 on the VDI.

Also found a sweet green 1910 wheatie at this site.

010.JPG

Here's a couple of compilation pics of the finds for today.

007.JPG004.JPG

Thanks for looking folks and happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Nice finds!

That Brooch is cool -" Guilded Age "1890's or Art Nouveau 1900- ish I'd guess , nice finds !

Some really nice finds right there. I'd take a buckle like that any day.
Congrats,
ZDD

nice finds congrats HH

Another batwing from a mid-19th C site/context, the evidence is still building on these, good work.:thumbsup:

Another batwing from a mid-19th C site/context, the evidence is still building on these, good work.:thumbsup:
That's exactly what I was thinking when I dug it. :laughing7:

Unfortunately the copper turned out to be a smoothie even after a thorough hot peroxide bath. That's the second copper with no detail I've found this year. They are so bittersweet to find. :-\

001.JPG 002.JPG

Good hunt, (or hunts). I'd take that buckle too. At least 50% of the coppers I get are smoothies. I almost expect it, that way I'm not so disappointed, every once in awhile you get a good one.

Unfortunately the copper turned out to be a smoothie even after a thorough hot peroxide bath. That's the second copper with no detail I've found this year. They are so bittersweet to find. :-\

View attachment 861653 View attachment 861655

Hey Evolution I am up to 4 large smoothies this year myself, I just tell myself that digging a smoothie copper is better then not digging one at all. At least you still have hope when you take it home which makes the hunt last longer :thumbsup:

Bubba65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back