Large Cent Whizzer?

MentalMetal314

Aug 29, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First I thought this was a sprocket or something because I dug this up in a corn field but after a closer look it's a large cent but it looks like someone drilled a hole through it and etched the sides. In a previous post I read that a Whizzer had 3 holes so this has me stumped and I can't put a date on the coin. I've been through my coin book but I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas on what this was used for and a year of the coin?

Thanks
mm314

Attachments

• image-948898695.jpg
    image-948898695.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3522572134.jpg
    image-3522572134.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 119
I believe, but could be wrong, that the majority of whizzers had two holes. I don't recall seeing one with just one.
that it's right in the middle makes me think that this was used as a button, but again I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
That's amazing! Very unique! Looks to be uniformly made. Very good mystery.

Upvote 0
Thanks I totally agree it took me by surprise when I cleaned it up.

Upvote 0
Since only one hole is present, my first thought is that the LC was converted to a Rowel for a spur, which would explain the work done to the rim as well.

Upvote 0
A spur rowel is certainly possible, but also these were often enough used for pastry cutter wheels. The link below has a discussion about these, and shows an example of a couple in place being used on a pastry cutter. I wonder if the size of the hole would help determine which is more likely? On a pie cutter the hole wouldn't have to be very large at all, but I'm not familiar enough with spurs to know the range of fastener sizes that were commonly used.
Collectors Universe Text Thread

Upvote 0
whatever it is it is one of the more interesting things found lately. a nice re-purposed coin. made into something functional.

Upvote 0
thCAG9J8D1.jpgCould it be something to do with sewing? Like a tool to trace fabric with? Looks like it could be the metal wheel attached to the blue handle in this picture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for their ideas. I like the spur theory. I dug this from corn fields going back to the early 1800s and the area was not anywhere close to any of the old dwellings. I'm digging up horse shoes almost every time I dig there. I have another mystery item I'll post later but I was back over there today and hauled up an 1808 Half Cent from about 6" down. I love that farm!

Attachments

• image-1336845171.jpg
    image-1336845171.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back