• Relic 2.jpg
    Relic 2.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Relic 3.jpg
    Relic 3.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 126
Welcome to Tnet! Maybe a spear point?

Upvote 0
It does look like a grooved axe but I still think it is a hoe. Is the pointed end sharp or are there wear marks that look like the thing has been used to chop dirt? Can you post some other pictures of the pointed end?

Upvote 0
From the pictures, I see a naturally shaped stone. I could be wrong because pictures are never as good as having the piece in hand. Here are my thoughts on this. If it was a hoe, I would expect to see polish on the bit end. I don't see that in the picture. In the grooves, I would expect to see evidence of chipping or pecking. I don't see that in the picture. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Does this help. I can take more if needed.

Attachments

• relic 3.jpg
    relic 3.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0
I am not much of a photographer, but here is another attempt.

Attachments

• relic 3.jpg
    relic 3.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 103
  • relic 4.jpg
    relic 4.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 109
  • relic 5.jpg
    relic 5.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken the Blackwater draw site is associated with the Clovis man. That would be thousands of years old. If I remember right that area is sand or sandy loam soil and new artifacts that date back to that time are discovered there to this day. Plains Indians could have picked up a Clovis man artifact and used it and kept it late as the 1880's in that area. Your find is pretty cool and could be of rich historical importance. I would go back and look that area over real well. Could be a hunting camp,burial site,butcher site .or a camp that was actually an ancient farm. I'm in agreement with others and calling it a hand ax or hoe. It really looks the part. The working doesn't look like Clovis man .because they were highly skilled flint knappers. But hand tools might not have required the beauty and fineness of a weapon . It's age will be hard to tag because it needs to be associated with other artifacts such as dated bone,other tools or points that have previously been identified ie, "Clovis Point" . Looks like your fine is made of hard shale.basalt, malipie, or a Mexican Chert it really doesn't look like flint. Nonetheless it is a awesome find and would like you to keep me in the loop if you find other artifacts at your site! Outstanding work! Good luck! K:icon_thumright:T he Kid

Upvote 0
I was thinking the Clovis also due to the area ... Great Find ... :occasion14: I would def. have a University or Museum check it out in Your area...

Upvote 0
Nvidlar, if you do have it checked out please keep us informed as to exactly what (and when) that artifact comes from. I'm pretty curious.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. However I could not find a reference for "malipie". Could you help me so I can further research it and its origin. You see we only have caliche stones in my area.

Upvote 0
if you post this over in the [h=2]Forum: North American Indian Artifacts[/h]
section, you will get better info.

Upvote 0
That;s not fair Uncle mac! I thought all of us did a pretty good job helping ol' nvidlar down the road a little !! I just cant spell malipie or malapai............whatever! Ol' AU Seeker helped me out and made it right!! Everybody else did great I thought! LOL!!

Upvote 0
I have been amazed at the response I received from all of you. I do believe I am going to enjoy this sight. I tried to get in touch with someone at ENMU today with no luck. But will let you know what I find out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back