Ladies wore them......what could they be ? ?

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
i dug these 2 things yesterday i'm not sure if anything similar was posted here before ? if they were
can someone provide a link if not, i need your help with an ID when i dug the one with the panther
i thought i had a fob metals too thin though and it's pressed then i dug the other one
i know they were worn by women the half dollar is for size how were they used and when would
they have been used....date range ? ?
IMG_5250_2.JPG

IMG_5251_2.JPG

IMG_5252_2.jpg

thanks for looking and any info is greatly appreciated ............. HH

Your second object is clearly 1/2 of a ladies victorian 2 piece sash buckle. Been quite a few posted here. The panther head seems to me would be in the wrong orientation for this use.

Old_Okie

Upvote 0
Old_Okie said:
Your second object is clearly 1/2 of a ladies victorian 2 piece sash buckle. Been quite a few posted here. The panther head seems to me would be in the wrong orientation for this use.

Old_Okie
thanks for the reply Old_Okie :) someone else mentioned sash buckle to me an now you say it's clearly
a sash buckle i'm convinced i don't know if it's copper or brass but they sure are thin i guess thats why
they broke so easy ? the only kind i was aware of were like this and it's more heavy duty - thicker metal
IMG_5255_2.jpg
but then i looked at my collection and noticed i have a similar pair the size of the panther w/attachments
could you tell me if these are sash buckles too ? ?
IMG_5253_2.jpg
IMG_5254_2.jpg
thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Gypsy Heart said:
The lions head looks like a watch fob
thats what i thought when it came out of the ground Gypsy my eyes were bulging :o lol
all the watchfobs i've ever seen were thicker - more solid heavy duty
i did notice after i posted it looks like at the 3, 6 ,9, and 12 o clock positions there
might have been small stones at one time ? crossed my mind too "maybe" the back was the
same as the front and somehow fastened together :-\ ? ? ?

Upvote 0
In my opinion

1 & 2. They look watch fob-ish, but, seems to be something that had more of a decorative application. Maybe horse tack ornamentation, or, more exotically, garter ornamentation... I don't know. What does the back of #2 look like?

3. Half of a victorian or edwardian woman's 2 piece belt buckle.

4. Both pieces of a two piece belt buckles... same era.

1.JPG

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
In my opinion

1 & 2. They look watch fob-ish, but, seems to be something that had more of a decorative application. Maybe horse tack ornamentation, or, more exotically, gerter ornamentation... I don't know. What does the back of #2 look like?

3. Half of a victorian or edwardian woman's 2 piece belt buckle.

4. Both pieces of a two piece belt buckles... same era.
thanks so much Montana Jim !! watch fob-ish ?, horse tack ornamentation - there was a barn at the back
of the property garter ornamentation - between the house and the barn was a large garden which is now
a manicured lawn both 1+2 were found at what would've been the garden near the barn house is 1850's
here's a photo of the back of no. 2
IMG_5257_2.jpg
and i was told there were 3 different outhouses at 3 different locations the panther was found near one of
those at the rear of the property
3+4 were found at a house / business circa 1864 i knew what 3 was and now i know 4 is the same
thing thanks to you :thumbsup: let me know what you think after you see the back of No.2 it's the
same style as the panther a thin - fragile - machine pressed image

Upvote 0
... it's the same style as the panther a thin - fragile - machine pressed image

It might be a smallish decorative belt deal I guess... but I dunno. I reserve further comment on number two and will conceed it may be part of a buckle, or part of a sash buckle. With no other point of connection on the back or I'm just not inclined to pretend to know. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
... it's the same style as the panther a thin - fragile - machine pressed image

It might be a smallish decorative belt deal I guess... but I dunno. I reserve further somment on number two and will conceed it may be part of a buckle, or part of a sash buckle. With no other point of connection on the back or I'm just not inclined to pretend to know. :icon_scratch:
thanks for getting back to me MJ :) everyone has heard it before......i wish these relics could talk :(
well, as of now the one i'll call a sash buckle i'm still not convinced with the panther though:-\
hey, i really appreciate your helping me.......and your ideas :thumbsup: same goes for Old_Okie and Gypsy
Heart :thumbsup: everyday i see things ID'd on here by very knowledgable people on this forum :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back