Knife Found at a Second-Hand Japanese Store

jerseydevil523

Aug 17, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I was working in Japan, my wife enjoyed going to the Japanese Second-Hand stores. I will admit I found some really cool coins and sake cups that I will post under a different thread. One was off the beaten path ran by an older gentleman and his wife out of two garage bays and a small building outside their house. They always had really nice stuff. During one of those visits I found a really cool bayonet that he was only asking 1500 yen for (about 10 dollars US) so I jumped on it. My Google skills aren't the best at times, so I gave up trying to figure out how old it was, so I cleaned off the rust and gave it a black primer coating. Once I was back in the US, my oldest son figured out it was a Japanese Children's Training Bayonet. With further research I believe it is a 3rd gen model. Either way I thought it was a great find. Now I just need to find the best way to display it. Any ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • JAPANESE TYPE 38 CHILD TRAINER BAYONET.JPG
    JAPANESE TYPE 38 CHILD TRAINER BAYONET.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
While I was working in Japan, my wife enjoyed going to the Japanese Second-Hand stores. I will admit I found some really cool coins and sake cups that I will post under a different thread. One was off the beaten path ran by an older gentleman and his wife out of two garage bays and a small building outside their house. They always had really nice stuff. During one of those visits I found a really cool bayonet that he was only asking 1500 yen for (about 10 dollars US) so I jumped on it. My Google skills aren't the best at times, so I gave up trying to figure out how old it was, so I cleaned off the rust and gave it a black primer coating. Once I was back in the US, my oldest son figured out it was a Japanese Children's Training Bayonet. With further research I believe it is a 3rd gen model. Either way I thought it was a great find. Now I just need to find the best way to display it. Any ideas are appreciated.
Cool

There was not a makers mark that was obvious on the blade. We disassembled it as far as we felt comfortable to see if it was covered by the handle, but stopped before we broke it. At that point I decided to clean it and primer the handle parts before reassembling it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back