Knee Protection when Metal Detecting

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knees are vulnerable to injury when squatting to dig. One of the primary dangers is 'coal miner's knee', caused by the compression of cartilage (meniscus) within the knee joint when we get into a full squat (similar to a walnut in a nutcracker). Baseball catchers often accept this deterioration as an occupational hazard.

The solution is to get in a half or full kneeling position when 'going down', and avoiding the full squatting position totally. In this position there are no excessive strains on the knee cartilage (all joints are at 90 degrees flexion), and it is also easier to stand up from.

A foam pad can also be used to avoid bursitis of the front of the knee (pre-patellar bursitis).

Other thoughts and solutions for knee care and comfort??

Upvote 0
I bought a pair of Rubber Knee Pads at Lowes.

I Never search without them.

J e f f

jeff of pa said:
? I bought a pair of Rubber Knee Pads at Lowes.

? ?I? Never search without them.

? ? ?J e f f

I've thought about knee pads a few times.? But after the all the grief and ribbing?I've given to guys wearing knee pads, I don't think I could make myself put on a pair!? ?;D?

What goes around, comes around.... ::)

Good hunting,
desmobob

I use the knee pads that cementers use. I was thinking that they might have smaller ones that could be worn under the pants. No, not underpants , under the pants HH

ha. I didn't use knee pads right off because I just thought it would clash with the macho image of carrying a detector around ;D I tried a pair though a few weeks ago and really liked having them on and my knees did feel quite a bit better, not to mention no ground in dirt on the knees of my pants. I have been wearing them ever since.

Before I started using them, I didn't have a Pair of Jeans with Knees in them left.

Plus I was getting Callisus

& when you get a Stone to poke right into the Tender area, it ain't Fun ;D

I have a very bad back and not much better knees. After the first time out I bought the biggest cushiest pair of knee pads I could find. Best investment I have made next to my detector!

I've been contemplating them as there is nothing worse than putting a knee down in the middle of a goathead patch for one and the fact is i've got more jean shorts than jeans now. Wife says it's my bony knees. LOL

You can buy a good pair in the sprots sections of wal-mart, k-mart, mejeirs, etc. for like $7 that are the same type const. workers wear for laying tile, concrete, etc. Look in the hockey equip. section.

The only difference is, the price!

If you buy them in the tool section/s at any hardware, or the named above, you'll pay 2.5 to 3xs as much!

Do note,

these are comfortable, longer lasting, with med-hard plastic frontal knee pieces and 2 straps that help keep them in place a lot better than single strap foam/rubber pads.

I don't use any myself now, but, I did before/just after I had knee surg. approx. 5 yrs ago for like 6 months.

I no longer need them now.

I am partial to the volley ball knee pads, great big cushy things. I use black ones I figured what the heck people think I am out weed eating anyway so why worry about what I am wearing.....

After knee pads, i put my plaid shirt on thats too small. Grab my pocket protector.
Put fresh white tape on my glasses. And it's, Lookout world here i come!

I don't know what the rest of you vain guys look like but I look like someone who is doing his best to protect his knee from foreign objects, burrs, rocks, insects and hard dirt! Without them I go home about half crippled up and theiy stay sore for days, not to mention the wear and tear on my denims! I got the biggest , cushiest ones I could find with velcro closure flaps. I had another set with a belt type harnass but they wouildn't stay iln place and woiund up down arouind my ankles.

I use knee pads all the time. Just one little rock can ruin your day. The more comfortable and fit I feel the better and faster I hunt. When I hunt with my club everyone has them. I get cracks from some people who have seen me ready for action. But it is my knees not theres. Catchers also now use a pad behind the leg to keep the angle more open when they squat. Check out the sporting goods stores, make your own, whatever it takes to keep you out there.

Ed Donovan

rvbvetter said:
? ? ?After knee pads, i put my plaid shirt on thats too small. Grab my pocket protector.
? Put fresh white tape on my glasses. And it's, Lookout world here i come!

ROTFLMAO :D :D :D

chirper97 said:
Knees are vulnerable to injury when squatting to dig. One of the primary dangers is 'coal miner's knee', caused by the compression of cartilage (meniscus) within the knee joint when we get into a full squat (similar to a walnut in a nutcracker). Baseball catchers often accept this deterioration as an occupational hazard.

The solution is to get in a half or full kneeling position when 'going down', and avoiding the full squatting position totally. In this position there are no excessive strains on the knee cartilage (all joints are at 90 degrees flexion), and it is also easier to stand up from.

A foam pad can also be used to avoid bursitis of the front of the knee (pre-patellar bursitis).

Other thoughts and solutions for knee care and comfort??

Nice post and advice. I think I'll use your technique along with knee pads. Double the pleasure.

:)Thanks ecdonovan for reminding me of the other type of pad available to protect the knee.

I went shopping and bought 2 high quality knee protectors at Lowe's. The type that fit on the front of your knees, used for flooring installation.

Then at SportMart, bought 2 baseball catcher knee protectors (the type that fit on the back of your calf muscles to avoid scrunching your knees when you kneel or squat).

Attached the 2 types of protectors to each other with heavy duty velcro...the 2 inch wide type with self adhesive.

Result: EXCELLENT!!!!

The set goes on your knee with just one strap. When you go down on one knee, there is NO DISCOMFORT!!!! They stay in perfect position....Almost feels like sitting in a soft chair!

UPDATE: I'm having trouble getting the two pads to stay connected. The adhesive (heavy duty type) did not hold, and hot glue did not hold up to real world demands. The setup will be excellent if a solution can be found....this may be a product for someone to develop!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back