Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon everyone. I recently dug a KMA Cartridge Box Plate and am trying to get information on it. It should be a Civil War period plate, as it was dug in an area which I dug a small letter or Virginia Style CSA belt buckle, a cast Confederate I button, camp lead, several cast ball and buck, and several dropped .57 3 ring minnie balls. Many believe it to be from the Kentucky Military Academy, as stated in Sid Kerksis' book on Civil War belt plates in the early 70's. I have been talking with Steve Silvia, the publisher of North South Trader's Civil War Magazine and appraiser from The Antiques Roadshow. He believes this association with The Kentucky Military Academy came from that book and is not true. During his research, The Kentucky Military Academy school only existed for one year, 1847. The plates that have appeared have been believed to be reproductions, as they have all had brass loops. Mine, has iron loops as the period plates. He stated that the opinion is that the box plate may have been manufactured for a different as yet unidentified school, a small militia unit, or some other reason. To date, none have been found in a camp or battle line to add field evidence. This is where I need your help if anyone may shed some light. He has some more feelers out and will get back to me with more info as he gets it. the plate measures 41mm X 71mm and is lead filled as other plates. It was found in an area outside of the Chickamauga Battlefield on private property where I found the other items listed. Attached are the pictures of the plate and of the other buckle I found. I also contacted S & S Firearms, which sells reproductions and has an "original die" that they cast from. He advised that they got the die from a stamping company in Maryland that closed in the 1980's and just said Kentucky on the wooden box it was in and that they could not shed any light onto the plate.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• KMA Plate.jpg
    KMA Plate.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210219_134859.jpg
    20210219_134859.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210219_134834.jpg
    20210219_134834.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210219_134823.jpg
    20210219_134823.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210330_223318.jpg
    20210330_223318.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20210330_223324.jpg
    20210330_223324.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I like both plates. Be careful of free advice. And some of the books over time have proven to be wrong. I have a button with a three towered castle on it and "cadet" and "WMS" on the bottom. It was unidentified in the books but has since been proven to be from the Westwood Military School, pre Civil War, in Lynchburg, Virginia, so sometimes as time progresses someone finds just the right information for us.

Upvote 0
I like both plates. Be careful of free advice. And some of the books over time have proven to be wrong. I have a button with a three towered castle on it and "cadet" and "WMS" on the bottom. It was unidentified in the books but has since been proven to be from the Westwood Military School, pre Civil War, in Lynchburg, Virginia, so sometimes as time progresses someone finds just the right information for us.

Exactly right sir. I was just hoping someone might be able to shed some more light. When Silva and O'Donnell are somewhat stumped, it makes me really want to know more about it. Especially since one hasn't been reported dug from a true battle or camp area. I believe I have found a virgin CSA campsite, due to the items I have found. Not sure if it was before or after the Battle of Chickamauga.

Upvote 0
Well Done and congratulations..I’m confident there’s more to come..take care out there

Upvote 0
Truth be told, most of my plates were from home sites or on traveling routes between camps or such.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back