king goerge coppa

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
this is probabley my favorite find and oldest to date 1740 king george copper. i really dont have any info on this but im sure some of you copper freaks out there do. i remember the day i found it in the beginning of summer with another hunting buddy at a site wich yeilded many old artifacts and coins i hope to find another spot like that someday. thanxs willy.

Attachments

• scan0013.jpg
    scan0013.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 291
  • scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 277
Your CoppER is nice, looks like there is some good detail on the obverse, you may want to get some advice on how to clean it properly.

Upvote 0
ya... would like to know the denomonation penny, half penny or what not. were there any counterfits for that year? just general info. thanx willy.

Upvote 0
dfx willy said:
ya... would like to know the denomonation penny, half pennyor what not. were there any counterfits for that year? just general info. thanx willy.

Halfpenny and counterfeits exist for every year they were made and even for some they were not.

Your coin looks the way it should. If it's a counterfeit it's too close to have any type of additional interest over a regal geo. II.

Upvote 0
here ya go buck its a little bit bigger than a quarter and alittle smaller than a half dollar. willy.

Attachments

• scan0014.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0
Looks real & not counterfeit to me.

Upvote 0
Willy that appears to be a King George II half penny. They were made somewhere in the reign of 1722/3-1758... Then they were King George III. See the post I put up on the counterfeit King George copper. There is some info there that may help you figure out if yours is real. Nice find by the way.... 8)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,203514.0.html

Upvote 0
Ed-NH said:
Willy that appears to be a King George II half penny. They were made somewhere in the reign of 1722/3-1758... Then they were King George III. See the post I put up on the counterfeit King George copper. There is some info there that may help you figure out if yours is real. Nice find by the way.... 8)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,203514.0.html

1729-1754 with the exception of 1741.

Upvote 0
The copper in this post may not be a 1740, if it is GEORGIVS than it cannot be a regal 1740 KGII Halfpenny. If that is a V and not a U, than your date is most likely 1746, since a 6 and 0 are hard to tell apart with wear.

The Old Head design was 1740 & 1742-45 with GEORGIUS, but the wording changed to GEORGIVS 1746-1754.

It is possible to have a GEORGIUS 1740, but that would be a counterfeit.

Don

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back