King George, Connecticut Copper, or Large Cent?

Surfline

Dec 30, 2021
Here is a farm find, copper, worn, no date. It came up as a 27 on the Equinox 800. I thought this was a surprising number for a copper.

I’m wondering if it was a King George, Connecticut copper, or large cent? Or none of the above! Either way it’s been there for a long time. Still yet to find a coin with a readable date from the 1700s. Something to look forward to!

Attachments

• IMG_3580.jpeg
    IMG_3580.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3582.jpeg
    IMG_3582.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3583.jpeg
    IMG_3583.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
...I’m wondering if it was a King George, Connecticut copper, or large cent?...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum TODAY'S FINDS! contains your find(s). Share it with others in the Today's Finds Forum. Always a "timely" place to visit.

Upvote 0
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum TODAY'S FINDS! contains your find(s). Share it with others in the Today's Finds Forum. Always a "timely" place to visit.
Got it! Thank you!

Upvote 1
Here is a farm find, copper, worn, no date. It came up as a 27 on the Equinox 800. I thought this was a surprising number for a copper.

I’m wondering if it was a King George, Connecticut copper, or large cent? Or none of the above! Either way it’s been there for a long time. Still yet to find a coin with a readable date from the 1700s. Something to look forward to!
Mite be up to a solid guess based on measurements. Ive soaked off the patina with vinegar on coins I didnt care about and caught some detail.

Upvote 0
Take a smooth new piece of aluminum foil lay it over the coin and make a rubbing. This will often show details that are hard to see on the actual coin.

Upvote 1
Seing how it's toasted just soak it in some lemon juice. The green patina isn't pretty on this one anyways. Should be able to see something after that. Then take some clear pics with side lighting so we can see. The vdi of 27 seems right to me. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back