Kicked out, opportunity knocks!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Finally got around to some digging and posting..
Went out to an 1881 Farm to finish up the last part of what was left off after the last hunt where I found an 1864 Injun(my first). Scavenged a spoon and a few other junky artifacts...Skunked on coins...OUCH...But Opportunity knocks so Don and I went down the street to the next farm house where I got permission the day before. Talked to an older Italian lady. She lived there alone and spoke broken english. The Italian accent was very thick but she said it would be okay to look around. She said we would not find anything...Aha..A challenge! Soooo we started our search in the front yard just to see if she was right..Well she was wrong. We started getting targets all over the place. A bunch of clad and the occasional wheat penny from the 50's and 40's. Not a bad start. Then I got the silver(ugly) ring. Things were looking up when she came home. She was with another younger lady and that got out of the car and asked "What are you looking for?"
I said old coins, relics, whatever we could find. She then said "I don't think she (the old Italian Woman) doesn't want you out here. I then told her that I spoke to her yesterday and she said it was okay. The lady then said that she likes her privacy and we better leave. Okay I said and looked at Don and thought that was strange. Needless to say there was plenty more area to hunt so we left, with our tails between our legs and.......opportunity knocked.

Went on to the next place in hopes that the elderly lady would allow us to hunt her farm. It was dated 1881...She said it was hunted just last year and that we would not find anything. Ho Hum Challenge to say the least...My third target Id'ed as 52 on my Analog Pro 6000 at 5 inches..I looked at Don and brashly said that this would be an Injun...Popped out the rather large plug(gotta be safe ya know) and it surprised me more than Don I think...It was an 1895 Injun. A bit crusty but none the less, and Injun. I thought the guys that hunted it last year missed that one big time...Kept on hunting and Don got a decent signal in the 60's VDI on the DFX. It was kinda funny that he dug a plug, flipped it over and saw the imprint of a coin in the dirt. But no coin. We looked in the bottom of the hole, pinpointed all around and still no coin. We even thought it was an imprint left behind from those other hunters...That could not be possible, right? I said look to see if it is stuck to your shovel, Nope! I told Don to move away from the hole and then I saw that the coin was underneath him. He picked it up and I saw the small shield on the obverse. It was his first Injun. A beautiful 1889 Injun. Now we knew the other guys were either cherry picking easy targets or just ametuers at best. We found several early wheats, 1918, 1920, 1936. Plus a bunch of clad. What a day. I will be giving the 1895 Injun to the lady who let us hunt there. She was a nice old whippersnapper.

Oh the silvers Rosies were found at another hunted out church lot. Back yard hunt only. All those bullet casings were found in the church lot as well. This is an inner city church......223 caliber rounds and several other types..I was in the hood of all places. But I thought it would be safe. Run for cover when you hear those babies blasting...All in all we cleaned up pretty well. We both went home happy for seeing that opportunity knocks when one door closes and another opens.

Can someone possibly Id the small token like thing with the number 3 on it? The number is on both sides and it is as heavy as lead. The other tokens are a Oklahoma Consumer Tax Token For Old Age Assistance. Never saw one like that before. A Nice Sunoco Macinac Island Token, two of the Shell's President Tokens, Grover Cleveland and Andrew Johnson. The button says Wellington on the reverse and the front is just smooth. No idea as to how old that one is. Help there would be great. Okay that's it....Happy Hunting all. And be safe out there! Jgas

Attachments

• Indian Heads 331 1.JPG
    Indian Heads 331 1.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Indian Heads 331 2.JPG
    Indian Heads 331 2.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Indian Heads 331 3.JPG
    Indian Heads 331 3.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Indian Heads 331 4.JPG
    Indian Heads 331 4.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Indian Heads 331 5.JPG
    Indian Heads 331 5.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,135
  • Indian Heads 331 6.JPG
    Indian Heads 331 6.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Indian Heads 331 8.JPG
    Indian Heads 331 8.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,119
Upvote 0
woody_g said:
that would be a curtain weight that they put in the bottom corners of curtains

Woody is correct. Sometimes called a hem weight - used long ago in gentlemen's overcoats and some ladies dresses.

DCMatt

Hem weight, as already mentioned, always a good sign when you find those. Usually means more and better stuff still buried. When you get those out here in Denver, it usually means no one else has been at the site.

Opportunity Knocks..... ;D ;D

It must take a good amount of courage to walk up to an old homestead and ask for permission to hunt. I know this is critical for many old spots within the country. If you don't do it, you just won't find anything of interest. I imagine, if I was faced with having to either ask permission or just not hunt, I would be certainly knocking on the doors.

I've gotten so comfortable just driving to a park and detecting. But the lure of an old homestead is sure inviting! ::)

Nice finds! You're persistence/determination made the difference.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Nice Finds,don't you love "hunted out spots". The 223 rounds casings looked necked down and blanks,military funeral possibly. Congrats. Hardrock :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Dude! I found a ring exactly like that one.. the little "Cladagh" ring.. the hands holding the crowned heart.

Sterling silver, though the one I found has three little hallmarks stamped into it rather than the word sterling stamped. Guess they were a popular ring. <grin> Cool finds! I'm still hoping for my first Injun.. I've just recently found my first Buffalow nickle and I'm still riding the "high" from that. Keep up the good work!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Holy smokes!!! Great hunt. Nice variety of goodies jgas. Congrats on those IH's. :thumbsup:
Any idea what that brass looking hook thingy is in the upper left of the blue plate in your 3rd picture? I've found a couple of those at old sites. Horse related? :icon_scratch:
-MM-

Nice hunt jgas, congrats on the nice finds, and a great mix too WTG :icon_thumleft:
Glenn

Nice Haul, is/are the spoons/spoons marked at all? Maybe one of them is sterling silver. ??? Also whats the thing with the wings is that silver too, dose it have a hallmark?

Great finds !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH!!

I think hunting the old house's are just as good as pulling a bullet or button from the field :thumbsup: The variety is even better,well sometime's :wink: Nice Dig's jgas...

Thanks for the replies all....
MUD, that thing with wings is a Saint Christopher magnet, I suppose to hang on the fridge, Junk metal(Aluminum)

Modern Miner: No Idea as to what that hook thing is. That is the first one I have found.

HardRock, great thought on the Military blanks. Most likely, I hope...Keep yur head down just in case.
CurbdDigger..Thanks for the Id on the Hem Weight. Must be pretty darn old.
Capt.Se thanks for the reply buddy. Two silvers...Hmmmm My streak begins again...I must admit, getting permission is quite easy for me. I have the use of a car that has lights on top and a siren. Most people like the security around when we hunt...But then again...some people hate the Po Po...Hopefully your streak is still kickin..35, 36 now??? jgas

decent assortment 8)

Nice finds,

People get weird out there. They think your gonna retire or something on the stuff you pull from there yard. Been there done that. I try to only hunt spots that are open to me without permission.

HH Jer

jgas said:
She was with another younger lady and that got out of the car and asked "What are you looking for?"
I said old coins, relics, whatever we could find.

Probably two chief problems with this--and they Do relate to why you got the boot.

#1.  What are you looking for?  Wrong answer.  I Never say "old coins," "gold," or anything that is obviously valuable like that.  Instead I usually say "old buttons, or brass items that folks might've dropped or lost years ago."  And the "whatever we can find" part would've certainly made me uneasy as a property owner.

#2.  You hunted a Yard without the property owner at home.  I Always make sure that they either have developed a trusting relationship with me through several return trips--and set up a time and day if they won't be home--OR I make sure I get permission for the same day I intend to hunt there.  (Not that essential for plowed fields, but Yards are much more personal!)

These are things we have to consider as MDists.  The personal space around a house--the Yard--is something I ask to detect LAST if there are other potential sites in the fields or woods on the same property.  For example, I would rather lose One yard than One yard and THREE other sites. It has taken years for me to figure all of this out--and until I did, there were some uncomfortable moments.

Best Wishes,

-Buckles

Thanks Buckles....I think she was just either too old to remember what I was there for...Dimentia or Alzhiemers possibly. But either way it is a learning experience everytime I go out. The advice is surely appreciated buddy. Thanks jgas

jgas said:
Thanks Buckles....I think she was just either too old to remember what I was there for...Dimentia or Alzhiemers possibly. But either way it is a learning experience everytime I go out. The advice is surely appreciated buddy. Thanks   jgas

No problem.  Took me a long time to learn how to make my odds better.  Modern Miner had his own experience with potentially losing a site by not waiting to hunt the yard last about a week or two ago.   :-\ I hate to see that happen to folks.

Best Wishes to you in your future hunts.

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back