Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen photos of various finds all over the forum and have noticed that some detectorists keep everything they dig up and even make displays. I see a lot of "treasure" and a lot of "junk" such as pull tabs, bit of unidentified iron, fish sinkers, etc. How many of you routinely keep everything you dig up? I've only been doing this a few weeks and I already have a collection of weird stuff that I keep in a plastic bag seperate from my "good" stuff. Let's face it, my good stuff ain't really that good..... YET! ::)

Upvote 0
I keep everything, until Someone Offers to buy. I do sell some. mainly the Rings, coins & tokens, as I know I can eventually replace them with another when I find it. I usualy Keep Sinkers till I get about 50lb. of them, Then I give them to friends who fish. Trash Items ? If they look intresting I display them, in hopes one day someone will I.D. them. Foil, cantabs, etc. I send to the Landfill.

jimmileo

maybe put your strange stuff up for sale on ebay i have seen some oddities over the past few weeks get on the band wagon

mav

I keep everything to remind myself that with every success, multiple failures came first.

I don't keep very much after a year of detecting I have only filled one jar of stuff I feel is to good to throw away I posted it once a while ago.

Onion

I pack out everthing I dig, I put pulltabs in a jar, clad in my pocket, and anything good or odd I keep in a box, the rest is tossed in the trash. 8)

Trash is trash and ends up where it belongs, clad is brought to the bank then confiscated by the wife who also picks through the jewelry. Since she doesn't hassle me about how much time I spend detecting its a wash. Gave my niece a silver bracelet she wanted and the rest of the silver and gold is hoarded.
Good Hunting

I keep all pulltabs,clad,good stuff and unidentifiables.The rest goes in the garbage,where it should have been to begin with..........

I got a tackle box to keep my finds in. ?I like all the separate compartments. ?Keep buttons, bullets, buckles, coins ?etc everthing separate. ?Have some really weird things. ?I pull the stuff out every once in while and still remember where I found it and everything. ?I melt down all the lead for scuba weights and fishing sinkers. ?Recycle the aluminum. ?Keep the rest

Im new to the hobby myself so I keep some of this junk longer than need be ,for example this pic from today is all the pull tabs and garbage from an isolated park that seldom is used in the winter due to its location ,not to mention the park has been there for years
after the pic all the trash pull tabs etc is tossed ,some of the larger iron etc I just throw it on my deck rail on my porch till I get tired of lookin at it ,or the wife says toss that junk will ya!
take care
Sam

Attachments

• IMAG0001.JPG
    IMAG0001.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 269
Hey YoSam! Did you take that picture in my shop? Stuff looks very familiar to me. I do seem to hang on to it all for a while, then I toss the trash & weed out the better stuff. Notice that I did'nt say GOOD STUFF. Spotz

I throw away the obvious junk, such as pulltabs, foil, broken cast iron, etc.
Our club recently had a contest to see who could make the most interesting or useful item from their junk finds. We required that 95 per cent of the item constructed had to be finds. We allowed items to be welded, bolted or otherwise put together just as long as 95 per cent was dug or found items. We had only three entries this first time, but the next contest should draw several entries. The prize was $25.00 for first place and $10.00 for second. Items were judged by the membership and no names were on the entries.
Just an idea of what can be done with "junk" finds.
BRD

When I was in charge of a code enforcement program we would get complaints on property with hoarded junk. The property owners were inflicted with what we called "Pack Rat Syndrom". They would go about the neighborhood and pick up anything that wasn't nailed down, even go through dumpsters and collect junk, take it home and let it pile up on their property. Even little scraps of paper and foil and God knows what could be found stshed in various nooks and crannies all over the property. It was amazing! It was obvious that one old man was very ill. He told my inspector that he was terminally ill and that if he died not to haul off the old junk appliances before checking them. He did die and the City had to clean up the property . We found several hundred thousand dollars in silver coin mostly that was stuffed into old socks and placed inside the appliances and some old car bodies. We called out the Police Department and let them take custody of all the $$$$ and last I heard the heirs were still fighting over it.

I keep any old coins or jewelry, and I throw the clad into a jar and roll it up and deposit it in my mad money (translated means BEER money) savings account. I made a Sunny D juice jar into a pulltab piggy bank, and save them for my girlscout daughter. Once a year the girlscouts donate pulltabes for the Ronald McDonald House charities, and this year, she had the most by far!!! All other junk gets tossed, along with the trash I pickup while hunting. HH ALL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back