Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey,
Attached is a pic of what I think is a steel washer. I found it on the beach this weekend, and because it was marked KAR 3/8, I kept it. I figured KAR was the name of the company who made it, and it would be a cake walk to find them, but it's a no show! I realize it's a worthless piece, but still would like to know what it really is and what KAR is. It's basically the size of a quarter both in diameter and thickness. Thanks in advance, Breezie

Attachments

• KAR.jpg
    KAR.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 261
I ran across this little blurb, but don'treally know if it is related or not .. Looks (by description) that it could be a possibility???

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-04 at 10.12.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-04 at 10.12.26 PM.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
Well, being I worked on automobiles for some time, I can tell you that this washer could have been used for numerous things. Not a lot for YOU to go on for sure, however, given the look and stamp, I would guess, and this is a very big guess, it could be late 60's in through 70's. Could have been a convertible top washer, or mud flap or exhaust, steering, many things. It really depends on the torque it's meant for, what it's made out of, etc... but even at that, it may be very difficult to identify this as a specific washer. KAR manufactured numerous washers and for numerous purposes. I would at best say an automobile washer given the thickness, perhaps for the manifold. Tis all I have for you ATM. :dontknow:

Paul

Upvote 0
There is a nut company around these parts. Maybe it is a gauging device to size nuts (peanuts, macadamia, etc etc.) Of course IDK exactly. I don't remember ever seeing an automotive washer marked like that, and I did auto body and frame repair from 1965 to 2007..........NGE

Upvote 0
First of all, thanks to all for your post and ideas. Creskol, yes, I think that would be the company; it fits the bill. Paul, very likely it could have been for automobiles since Creskol blurb mentioned that. I'm assuming it is made out of steel (could be nickel, but I don't think so) since it attracts a magnet, and it is not iron. Nowgittineverything, it could be a sizing gauge, but I think it's probably transportation related. Since I found it on the beach, it could have been used on a boat or ship; I just thought it was unusual to see what I would call a 'plain ole washer' that was so meticulously embossed. If you go to sLOWES or Home Depot today, you're lucky to find a washer in the correct box or bin, muchless marked! :laughing7: Thanks again, Breezie

Upvote 0
When we find those detectin' around here, we call it "a round toit".....NGE

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back