All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 100_2041.JPG
    100_2041.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 100_2042.JPG
    100_2042.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 412
It looks like a Jai Lai ball. I may be wrong because yours looks a tad big.

Upvote 0
There are balls like that for check valves in pumps or ag related watering.

Tim

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey rock,

Nice white orb, sir. How'd you come upon it, and what's the diameter?

Perhaps it's a carpet ball. They were generally in the 2-1/4 to 3-1/2 inch range, though most frequently glazed...

il_340x270.425127963_koqf.jpg

Upvote 0
Here is a photo of clay balls we find here in Virginia on 18th/19th century sites!. The clay ball you have almost looks like it has very little wear on it. Then again you are in FL and soils are different, I am assuming you found it in the ground.

Attachments

• ball.jpg
    ball.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0
Yes I was told it was a dig find. The fracture was made by a shovel. It was said a few times maybe a milling ball but is has no seam on it and I found out it is made from clay. Its too perfect in shape to be a NA Game ball.

Upvote 0
Hey rock,

Nice white orb, sir. How'd you come upon it, and what's the diameter?

Perhaps it's a carpet ball. They were generally in the 2-1/4 to 3-1/2 inch range, though most frequently glazed...

il_340x270.425127963_koqf.jpg
3 inches across. Are they worth any money? I stopped in a antique store in Reddick Florida last yr and they didnt know what it was and I offered a small amount for it so they sold it to me. The owner stepped out for a smoke and his wife sold it to me. He was mad. That will teach him, lol

Upvote 0
Looks about the size of a croquet ball. Did they make them out of that material?

Upvote 0
@ Surf is there anything you dont know? Looks like you nailed it to me. Its a shame it has that shovel kiss on the side of it. Probably worth half as much now.
Thanks your the best! rock

Upvote 0
Just posting some modern clay milling balls for comparison.
These are used in high temperature applications and when the use of metal would not be safe like making gunpowder.
"alumina balls"
The clay is almost exactly the same as kaolin.
They commonly have impact damage from the agitation process there used in.

Alumina_Balls_T-99_PROX-SVERS.jpeg

Upvote 0
LOL it isnt a milling ball. Give up

Upvote 0
LOL it isnt a milling ball. Give up

It isn't a carpet ball by the admission of the person you claimed I.D.'d it.. its just a Dang milling ball and you keep fishing for answers you think are cooler or neat or something... it's hilarious this thing has been I.D.'d for months
You were even selling it as a solid quartz native American game ball at one point..
You immediately dismiss the mundane and jump on every interesting guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ Surf is there anything you dont know? Looks like you nailed it to me. Its a shame it has that shovel kiss on the side of it. Probably worth half as much now.
Thanks your the best! rock

He just took a stab and even stated that carpet balls are almost always glazed.

Upvote 0
He just took a stab and even stated that carpet balls are almost always glazed.

Hey GB,

I prefer to think of my call as a pretty educated guess. I don't have rock's example in hand, nor have I seen it in person.

I actually dug a pretty beat up example from a hill dump years ago. I had mine IDed by a professor of Historic Archeology of whom I am acquainted. I believe I said, "They were generally in the 2-1/4 to 3-1/2 inch range, though most frequently glazed..." I think that is because four out of five of them are glazed. Then there is the "cue" ball.

I had no idea that there was controversy in carpet bowling. Apparently the game is having somewhat of a renaissance: Carpetball rules

Will we need a referee from the NCA?

Upvote 0
Have you done any research on the alumina clay?... also the alumina milling balls?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back