Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this buried about 6 inches in a former roadbed. (LOTS of rocks! LOL )

I'm pretty sure it's lead. I can bend this piece by hand and I am not superman. ;)
It's about 1 full pound in weight. The brown coloring is just the dirt it came out of that I'm too lazy to clean off. :dontknow:

You can see where I pinched the bar with a pair of pliars in order to see how soft and how shiny it is underneath.

I'm just trying to figure out how this became a strip of lead like this. Could it be something like supplies for making bullets? (I don't think so because it doesn't have that white patina lead gets after about 80 years.)

Any ideas folks?

HH!

Attachments

• IMGA1657.JPG
    IMGA1657.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMGA1660.JPG
    IMGA1660.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMGA1658.JPG
    IMGA1658.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
I gotta say I've no idea what it is. I do know that it would find it's way into a special bucket full of it's relatives bound for the scrap metal dealer... 8-)

Plumbers used to use lead all the time. I find melted blobs and funny shaped pieces of it from time to time. I've only found one or two pieces that look like they were purposefully formed into a shape, more often than not it looks like what you found to some degree

Plumbers used to use lead all the time. I find melted blobs and funny shaped pieces of it from time to time. I've only found one or two pieces that look like they were purposefully formed into a shape, more often than not it looks like what you found to some degree

Plumbers huh? Ya know that's something I never considered. I like it!

You don't suppose the spot price would go up for lead, do you? ;)

Thanks!

HH!

I have no idea, I don't follow too much on the amounts of precious metals mined yearly or the demand over real markets. Lead used to be used alot more but it's definitely common.

I think most of us separate our scrap by type and scrap it when you've got enough to warrant the trip. Lead pays better than scrap steel.

Plumbers huh? Ya know that's something I never considered. I like it!

You don't suppose the spot price would go up for lead, do you? ;)

Thanks!

HH!

My Boss had a bar of lead spray painted gold. He took it to a recycler an got $.49 or it.

looks like a destroyed tire weight

Hellofva tire weight!!!!!!...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back