just found 1812 era script "I" cuff botton

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in pretty rough shape.. any tips on cleaning?

ForumRunner_20130425_093412.png

IMG_20130425_082823-enhanced.jpg

ForumRunner_20130425_094148.png

Z638A.jpeg
Example

Upvote 0
I know most would not clean it. Hydrogen peroxide will work on copper and brass. Is it pewter? If so it is hard to clean with out damaging it. You could soak it in distilled water. It may take some off. Very nice find!

Yes pewter.. I was hoping to clean it only enough to help bring out the design but still leave most of the patina.
Thank you. I may not.. its in distilled water at the moment.
That was enough on previous buttons from the same site but this one is a bit worse.

Ahhh.. thank you.
Ammonia diluted will probably do a pretty good job... any idea if it could harm the pewter down the road?
I suppose I could soak it in fresh water after.

It shouldn't (just do not soak the button in ammonia and try not too get the ammonia in cracks like on the back of the shank just work on the front part with ammonia)! But it will not be instant you have too work with it... Brush it lightly with ammonia then let it sit and let the ammonia work its way in all the dirt/grim then the next day repeat the process! It can take several weeks for it too start cleaning up. No good button cleaning (when the buttons are really bad looking like what I call slug look) can happen overnight it just takes time but I think you can clean it up more but it wont be the greatest but it will clean up slightly better then what it is now and you should be able too get that script showing slightly better..

Also just want too let you know and I am sure you know this already! Do not mix anything in with ammonia not even soap! Buy the ammonia soap brand or go too wal-mart and get the lemon looking Ammonia they sell it is got soap mixed in with it! that is what I use!

Just telling you this because I knew a guy who I thought would know not too mix anything in with ammonia well he tried mixing ammonia with some soap that I think may have had some sort of bleach in it or something and well he had to pay a big hospital bill so always be careful with ammonia! it really is harmless you can splash it on, inhale just the ammonia and be okay but boy u mix it with almost anything you turn it into a gas bomb.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.
I've found quite a few buttons..most are either very far gone or a bit better than this.. that "I" is pretty fine.. I would love to bring it out more.
Here are a couple others I found in the same area.

ForumRunner_20130504_021007.png

Here is the Script I. As of right now.

ForumRunner_20130504_021733.png

Those are sweet. I have only the one pewter button so far and happy with it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130504_125804.png
    ForumRunner_20130504_125804.png
    463.2 KB · Views: 102
I was really happy with one also.. the rest is icing.
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back