Just curious but...

just google ghost towns virginia, you will be covered up with info. I always wanted to go to Appomatax Court House, if you make that trip let us know how it was.

ALLEN’S ORDINARY James City
Also known as Six-Mile Ordinary, this old 1700s era tavern was located on US 60, 4.3 miles southeast of present Toano, and just northwest of Williamsburg. Just to the east was a Quaker community.

APPOMATTOX COURTHOUSE Appomattox Co.
This class C/F ($) ghost town is located on SH 24, three miles northeast of the town of Appomattox. It began in 1819 as Clover Hill Tavern, and in 1845 when Appomattox County was established it became the county seat. Then in 1865, this town’s place in history was secured when General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant, ending the American Civil War. After the war ended, so did the town’s prosperity. Appomattox Court House was our Ghost Town of the Month for March 2002.

BLACK HORSE TAVERN Botetourt Co.
Near US 11, eight miles north of Roanoke, on the old road between

Pennsylvania & the Yadkin Valley.

BRENT TOWN Fauquier Co.
This forgotten community dates back to 1688 with a block house erected by George Brent. It was located on SSH 806, five miles south of Catlett.

CASTLE’S WOODS Russell Co.
This late 1700s era frontier community was located along the Clinch River in southwestern Virginia, but its actual location is not determined. It is possibly near the present town of Castlewood. It was an early frontier community founded in 1869, and used as a “stepping stone” to the unexplored territories to the west. Several pioneer forts such as Elk Garden Fort, Glade Hollow Fort and Russell’s Fort were all located in the area.

DUNKARD BOTTOM Pulaski Co.
A 1750s hamlet located about five miles southwest of its historical marker, which is located on old US 11, 1.9 miles west of Radford. The town was established in 1750 and was the first settlement west of the New River.

GERMANNA Orange Co.
This German colony dates to 1714, when it was established by Governor Alexander Spotswood. It was located near SH 3, about 4.8 miles west of Wilderness, in the northeastern corner of the county. In 1716 it relocated to Fauquier County.

GOLD HILL Buckingham Co.
This class D-gold mining community is a tiny village today with a 1990 population of 85. It sits along US 15, eight miles northeast of Dillwyn, a skeleton of the booming gold mining center it once was. In 1992, all that remained were an abandoned store, active gas station/store, laundry, and a few houses.

GOLDVEIN Fauquier Co.
This class D-gold mining town of 35 people (1990) is the nearest town to the FRANKLIN MINE, which was in operation from 1837-1936. Only foundations and ruins remain of the old mine. Another nearby mine was the LIBERTY MINE, which was in operation in early 1834. Some 19 gold mines once operated in the region around Goldvein, which is on US 17, 18 miles northwest of Fredericksburg.

GRASTY TRACT MINE Orange Co.
Near the semi-ghost of Mine Run. This five-acre gold field that began operations in 1831 and has been worked sporadically since then. In early years the gold assayed at from $6 to $32 a ton.

JAMESTOWN

James River Co,
The ruins of this magnificent class B (NHS-$) English colony is located along the north bank of the James River, 10.8 miles southwest of Williamsburg. Here on May 13, 1607, three small ships from England landed on the shore of the James River. Jamestown was England's second oldest colony in the New World (Roanoke, NC. was the first). By September 1609, nearly 500 settlers lived here. Captain John Smith returned to England supposedly to bring more provisions and settlers, but he never returned. The ships that did next May, found only 60 people remaining. The colony was England's Colonial capital until 1699 when Williamsburg grabbed that title, leaving the filthy swampy site of Jamestown to those that wanted to remain. Few did, and the site quickly fell into ruin. In 1934, the site became part of Colonial National Historic Park. Foundations and tumbled down walls of a number of buildings have been excavated. A private tourist attraction replica of the original Jamestown (Jamestown Settlement) is next door.

This was our Ghost Town of the Month for May 2007

MITCHIE TAVERN
Albemarle Co.
This class C, restored ($)-tavern/wayside stop is located on SH 53, a mile and a half south of I-64 at EXIT 24, just southeast of Charlottesville and west of Monticello (President Thomas Jefferson’s Home). This historic old tavern was originally opened around 1784, and operated until 1927, when it was moved to its present location.

MORROW MINE
Buckingham Co.
This historic old gold mine is located near Dilwyn, several miles northeast of the junction of US 60/US 15, about 50 miles west of Richmond. It dates to 1835 (or earlier), and was one of the earliest gold mines in which underground mining methods were used.

MOUNT AIRY Wythe Co.
A 1770s German settlement located along US 11, 12.9 miles west of Wytheville. That would place it in the vicinity of the community of Rural Retreat.

WILDERNESS TAVERN Spotsylvania Co.
This class B-tavern/way station is located on SH 3 at the junction with SH 20, 12 miles northwest of Fredericksburg. The Wilderness Tavern was a busy cross roads complex with a tavern, blacksmith shop, tailor, and general store that catered to travelers on the old Fredericksburg-Orange Turnpike. On May 2, 1863 the community became a huge field hospital to care for Confederate forces that were wounded during the Battle of Chancellorsville. Over 3000 men were treated in the existing buildings and a huge assortment of tents. One of the patients was Lt. General Stonewall Jackson, who had his left arm amputated here in the makeshift field hospital. He died a week later. All but one of the buildings were eventually destroyed by the war, and that one burned in 1978, leaving only fallen walls and a stone chimney.

GHOST TOWNS West Virginia

Blue Sulphur Springs
Brink
Devon
Eagle
Freed
Goodwill
Layland
Pearlytown
Putney
Rutherford
Sewell