Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of the little thumb scraper I found and gender roles among Indians, how it probably was a woman’s tool to process a hide or food… then i thought of something I never really had before… were there woman knappers? Or would men make the tools and hand them off? I don’t think I’ve come across anything that looks at that subject. Any thoughts or does anyone know? Also just in the spirit of a treasure net post I’ll throw in a pic of the area and a couple animal friends
IMG_4507.jpeg
IMG_4514.jpeg
IMG_4513.jpeg
IMG_4512.jpeg

Upvote 5
Interesting question.

No other details given, but this is a quote from Dale Weisman in an article on the Texas Parks & Wildlife website:

Archaeological evidence suggests that women in prehistory made stone tools and projectile points, and some Native American women were buried with their knapping tools.

Also this abstract from “Feminine Knowledge and Skill Reconsidered: Women and Flaked Stone Tools” by Kathryn Weedman Arthur in “American Anthropologist” published 19 May 2010 (the full paper is behind a paywall):

Archaeologists continue to describe Stone Age women as home bound and their lithic technologies as unskilled, expedient, and of low quality. However, today a group of Konso women [in Ethiopia, not America] make, use, and discard flaked stone tools to process hides, offering us an alternative to the man-the-toolmaker model and redefining Western “naturalized” gender roles. These Konso women are skilled knappers who develop their expertise through long-term practice and apprenticeship. Their lithic technology demonstrates that an individual's level of skill and age are visible in stone assemblages. Most importantly, they illustrate that women procure high-quality stone from long distances, produce formal tools with skill, and use their tools efficiently. I suggest in this article that archaeologists should consider women the producers of Paleolithic stone scrapers, engaged in bipolar technology, and as such perhaps responsible for some of the earliest-known lithic technologies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back