johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Three times in a row witrhin a month I've walked the shore road by the swamp, cut into the swamp at a different random place each time , and each time within a few seconds got my only good signal of the couple hours spent hunting. Besides this buckle, the finds today were a couple bronze nails in a little peice of buried wood, a piece of flattened lead probably to hold a flint, and lots of shotgun shells. The immediately found things the other two times this were a reale, and the other time an 1808 artillery button.

I like the buckle because this specific type is almost always a baldrick ( buckled the strap which went over the shoulder to hold the sword), and because I found it in view of the Barnegat inlet which saw some pirate action in the 17th and 18th centuries when this design was in use. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• spectacle buckle.jpg
    spectacle buckle.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 496
Upvote 0
When it comes to Colonial, Johnnyi is the man for the show. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

WOHOOOOO, John, on that early 1600s buckle. :headbang: That find has my heart beating...faster, that is. :laughing9:

Good luck on your future trips there. You will pull out more!

Kyle

Very nice, Buckles are always a welcome sight and an early one like this is that much better.
Marty

Thanks fellers. Kyle, don't expect much from me out of the marsh. The signals there are all random drops, and are very very few and far between, probably because anybody with a lick of sense in the old days wouldn't have been out there unless he had to be. The up side is that if anybody lost a decent relic in the marsh the odds are he wouldn't have had much luck ever finding and retrieving it. :D

Congrats on that old buckle... nice to find it in ref. material too :icon_thumleft:

johnnyi said:
Thanks fellers. Kyle, don't expect much from me out of the marsh. The signals there are all random drops, and are very very few and far between, probably because anybody with a lick of sense in the old days wouldn't have been out there unless he had to be. The up side is that if anybody lost a decent relic in the marsh the odds are he wouldn't have had much luck ever finding and retrieving it. :D

Have you ever found Colonial coins in the Marshes?

Kirk

:hello:

Johnnyi... would your Buckle have origanaly looked like this :dontknow: is there parts of yours missing :dontknow: this one has a very wide date range which fits right into the date you posted, and like you say used as a Sword hanger buckle.

1500-1630 :thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• 12237164471223715285IMG_0447_1.jpg
    12237164471223715285IMG_0447_1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 403
Kirk PA said:
johnnyi said:

Have you ever found Colonial coins in the Marshes?

Kirk

Kirk, in the real marsh (the boggy peat moss over gray sand that lays along the reed line) the only colonial coin has been a reale. A little farther in, maybe an eigth of a mile and a foot or two higher, I've found King George's and reales, but they've been few. Like everywhere else, most of the good finds are around the houses or farm fields, and there just weren't many of them here that close to the water back then. People were in the marsh to either work or guard the salt flats (salt works), salvage whatever washed in or was dragged in, or to hide from the British. :D

Silver Searcher said:

Johnnyi... would your Buckle have origanaly looked like this :dontknow: is there parts of yours missing :dontknow: this one has a very wide date range which fits right into the date you posted, and like you say used as a Sword hanger buckle.

SS

Silver searcher, no, my buckle is complete as in the picture next to it. Your buckle is spectacular!!! I'm not sure how to describe your's? "Double loop, openwork trefoil knops, with cross bar and sword loop"? Is that too wordy? ;D

johnnyi said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
I thought the sword loop might have broken off from yours :dontknow: this ones also similar, just not as fancy :D either way yours is a great find, seing as you have to search such a hard area, with only few signals :thumbsup:

Silver searcher, no, my buckle is complete as in the picture next to it. Your buckle is spectacular!!! I'm not sure how to describe your's? "Double loop, openwork trefoil knops, with cross bar and sword loop"? Is that too wordy? ;D

Attachments

• 1232567844swordbh.jpg
    1232567844swordbh.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 358
Colin, the difference is that your buckle actually hangs the sword; my buckle is for the baldrick (which in turn hangs the sword).

johnnyi said:
Colin, the difference is that your buckle actually hangs the sword; my buckle is for the baldrick (which in turn hangs the sword).
Right gotcha :thumbsup:

SS

Very nice!!! :icon :notworthy:

You got some old stuff there! We've never dug a buckle anywhere near that age here. Maybe today is the day! :thumbsup:

Great looking buckle :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back