Junk Silver

S

sendin

I bought 1/2 bag of junk silver in the late 90's from F.J. Volmer. A lot of heavily circulated Mercurys. Is there any point in going through it to see if there are any keepers; or is it gone thru at the source first to be sure they aren't sending anything out above silver value at the time of sale? What I know about coins is pretty slim so your help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Denny

Go thru it even though I'm sure it already has been. Things are missed. Learn what to look for like the 1916-D. It will only take a little time. Wish I could do something like that.

DM

Hi DM

Okay - I do know about the 16 D. Any others I should be looking for?

Thanks - Denny

Others to look for is 1921, 1921D, 1926S, 1942 2 over 1 and 1942D 2 over 1

I'm well into it. So far 2/5 are Mercurys and I found 4 Barbers (I think), but they are really worn. Thanks Wayne for the list of others to look for. Dirty coins! This is going to take a while.

Nada! Junk silver IS really junk silver, although I did find about 7 Barber dimes. Two of them were in pretty good shape. Thanks for the replies.

for the love of everything holy, watch out for a 1914-s (the"ice-cream" dime) there were only 24 minted and they're worth araund a half-mil. If you do find one I will happily purchase it for $25. Ok, odds are you'll never even see one at a coin show, but, hey, ya never know!!

Volmer of Bloomington, Illinois has retired and moved to Florida years ago. By all means check all the coins before you dispose of them. When I knew him he would not sell anything good on purpose but he was so lazy and snotty that i occasionally got good deals. When I asked his price for war nickels in a bucket he yelled out the price from across the room for worn junk. I picked out five rolls of AU and BU pieces and happily paid one of his sales ladies. One roll sold at the other local coin shop for more than I paid for the five rolls. exanimo, ss

gold fish said:
for the love of everything holy, watch out for a 1914-s (the"ice-cream" dime) there were only 24 minted and they're worth araund a half-mil. If you do find one I will happily purchase it for $25. Ok, odds are you'll never even see one at a coin show, but, hey, ya never know!!

how many average circulated 1914-s dimes do you want for $25 each? Either you have the wrong date or you are talking about a variety that isn't listed in the Red Book. ss

Hey Gang,

It must be a typo about the dime.
It appears Gold Fish is referring to the 1894-s dime.
Coin values monthly (April 2006) stated there were 5 or 11 unaccounted for.
A specimen went for auction in 2005 for 1.3 million.

Happy Hunting,
Mike in SC

Man, I missed all these replies! I was going blind going thru those dimes. I separated the Roos. vs. Merc. and separated all the 1926 and Barbers, so if I have to go through them again for some reason it'll be easier.

I bought the junk silver on a recommendation of a friend. If things go sideways they can be very useful as opposed to the current funny money and FRN's we use. I have no intention of selling them. They are like a first aid kit sitting in the safe. Yea, I was a Boy Scout too!

My bet is that they will be passed along to one of my younger relatives. I hope they keep them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back