Jimmy Buffett dead at 76

When I leave the house for work, I literally turn on the station Jimmy Buffet Radio from Pandora and our dog knows to go in her crate. Even my small kids know to tell Alexa to play Jimmy Buffet radio anytime we leave the house. Pretty sure my dog will miss him too. Really stinks waking up and seeing this, one of my first concerts as a young kid was my parents taking me to see him at Blossom Music Center in Ohio when I was like 5. Been listening to his stuff ever since. My 5 and 8 year old are going to be bummed when I tell them later when I get home from work. Very sad but he lived a life most could only dream of and left it all on the table. We should all be as fortunate

I worked for Jimmy for a brief time on his motor yacht "continental drifter III". I filled in for the first mate who was on leave for the birth of his son. I spent a few months onboard up in sag harbor new York. He was very cool, and I was able to spend some 1 on 1 time with him here and there while working. I met his wife and kids savanna and Cameron and got to spend time with other celebrities like Christy brinkly, and Billy Joel !! It was a crazy 3 months, and we were very popular at the night life spots when we went out together as crew !! I got to take Jimmy surfing which was a treat for me.....my job was to take him by tender/boat to the Montauk inlet and drop him off to surf.....I would just hang on the 32ft inflatable boat until it was time to pick him up. I'll always cherish those boat rides to and from the surf spot.....we would just shoot the shit and talk about fishing and life in the keys !! One time he took us all to the movies.....the entire crew of the yacht, Jimmy, and the misses !! He dressed in disguise 🥸 and we all went to the movie theater to watch the movie "hurt locker" !! He was a generous boss and I was paid much better than I expected.....he appreciated my keys heritage and that I was a genuine keys local, or "conch" as we are called. He told me some personal stories of staying in a sail boat for several months in the bay I grew up on.....this was long before he was a super star, and he said he really liked the early days sailing around the keys !! Later on about a year or so my new boss bought jimmies little racing sail boat ⛵️ named "music"......I modified the keel for my boss, and we still own that boat. I'll miss him and his adventures, he was a true waterman, and really did love the ocean !! God bless you my friend....ill always remember and cherish those one on one moments that I spent with you !! RIP !!

Best memory
Sitting top deck on the 125 foot delta yacht with the rest of the crew, and listening to Jimmy play gutiar, and him make up songs about each of us in the crew !! Even me the new guy.....Bart the shark hunter from the keys !! Sitting there having beers with everyone and chilling with Jimmy in his personal space !! Wow!! Ill never forget those times !!

The first day on the job was the yearly employee party also !! I get off the plane, meet the crew, put my bags down, and go straight to the crew house, and meet the rest of jimmies employees!! There had to be 100 or more, pilots, captains, property managers, artists, landscapers....you name it......by the end of my first night 🌙 (4am) I new everyone who worked for jimmy.....it was an incredibly eye opening experience!! One of the people ended up being my brother in laws roommate from college....his name was Vinny, and he had the dream job of running jimmies fishing boat "last mango" ...... he must be devastated !! He'll have to find a new job now....or retire !!

I'l never forget the first Jimmy Buffett concert I attended. Everyone was so incredibly nice and friendly. Not what you usually get around here in New England. Must have been hugged by a dozen women and half a dozen guys that night! Plenty of free food and drinks tailgating before the show as well. Never went again because it was too strange for me. I'm used to everyone being nasty and cruel to me. Just the way it's always been in my world...

I'm looking for my old crew shirts from Jimmy's yachts. My dress crew shirt looks like crap....ill have to have it cleaned. Even though I only worked a few months, I got a full wardrobe of uniforms from the yacht. I never asked for an autograph, and always put my professionalism as part of the crew, before any urge to pander for autographs and pictures.....I was there as a professional in the yachting industry, and most yacht owners appreciate someone who can have both a professional, and personal relationship. It's a fine line, and thinking back I wish I had asked for at least an autographed crew shirt !!
20230903_090103.jpg

20230903_091344.jpg

My dress fishing shirt is still nice.....Jimmy designed his own boat in partnership with the world famous fishing boat builders at "Rybovich". The design was so successful that they later formed "Margaritavich" ......im not sure how many margaritavich boats were built ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back