08Flyboy

Greenie
May 17, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
yesterday I've found on a acre (in Germany, Saarland) this Button "Jennens & co. London". I found out that it could be a military uniform button. It is heavy, but I dont know what Metal it is.
Does somebody know what button this could be? Which army or date?
The strange thing is that there was War with french, us army but I didnt know that here was english army... strange.
The blue mark is 1 inch.

Maybe someone could solve the riddle :icon_scratch:

On the same acre I found Bullet casings of m1 garand, browning and german ~k98. A french button of 1792 and a wehrmacht button.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3534.JPG
    IMG_3534.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3535.JPG
    IMG_3535.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3538.JPG
    IMG_3538.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 222
Jennens & Co was a button manufacturing company in Britain from 1805 to 1924, when it was absorbed into the Gaunt Company.

Button-collectors call it a "ball button" or a "Zouave button"... but in actuality, ball buttons were used on both Military and Civilian clothing. They are still being used on Military School Cadet uniforms today here in America (such as the Virginia Military Institute cadets).

That being said... note that your ball-button has two holes, one on each side of the thread-loop. Those holes' purpose was to allow superheated air to escape when the button was being soldered. By the mid-1800s, the holes were no longer needed, due to advances in button-making machinery. So, my "best guess" is that your ball-button was made sometime from about 1810-1840. It MIGHT have been on a British Cavalry uniform during the Napoleonic Wars. Unfortunately, there's no way to know with absolute certainty whether it was on a military uniform or on civilian clothing. However, since France and Germany had their own button-manufacturing companies who supplied buttons for their armies and civilians, and you dug your British-made ball button in Germany, I lean toward your button having been on a British Army uniform.

Upvote 0
Great, thank you so much! That helps me a lot.
Always interesting what happens in front of the door.
Yes the Napoleonic wars, I forgot that there could be british troops here. And now I got maybe a proof. (And a new goal for things to search for)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back