Japanese Porcelain dog found in Ohio

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I recently (1 hour ago approximately) found this porcelain dog in Ohio in a dump near where I was walking. I was finding a lot of century old bottle fragments and pottery fragments around, but I wonder if this isn't more recent. I read that in occupied Japan, some of these pottery pieces would be made and marked (Japan) on the outside. Anyways, just wondering the age of this piece.

5A3090D2-6950-4BF9-ADCB-F918A271A109.jpeg
8568C38A-70B3-48C7-A117-C13C27AAEF69.jpeg

Upvote 2
Cute little find. Is it actually marked with just the word "Japan"?

From March 1891 the McKinley Tariff Act required that all goods imported to the U.S. were marked in English with the country of origin. For Japanese goods, the country of origin was often 'Nippon' (the English equivalent for the name used by the Japanese themselves) rather than 'Japan'. In 1914 the act was amended, requiring the addition of the words "Made In…" (or an equivalent term) plus the country of origin but this was not rigorously enforced until around 1921. Some exporters adopted the required wording before it became mandatory, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

In August 1921 it was ruled that 'Nippon' was no longer an acceptable indication and that only 'Japan' could be used for goods from that country. There were no imports from Japan between 1941-1945, for obvious reasons, and they didn't resume until the late summer of 1947. From then, the required marking was "Occupied Japan" or "Made in Occupied Japan" until 1949, at which time it was decreed that "Occupied Japan", "Made in Occupied Japan", "Made in Japan" or just "Japan" were all acceptable. That continued until 1952 when occupation ended and the requirement switched back to "Japan" or "Made in Japan".

Cute little find. Is it actually marked with just the word "Japan"?

From March 1891 the McKinley Tariff Act required that all goods imported to the U.S. were marked in English with the country of origin. For Japanese goods, the country of origin was often 'Nippon' (the English equivalent for the name used by the Japanese themselves) rather than 'Japan'. In 1914 the act was amended, requiring the addition of the words "Made In…" (or an equivalent term) plus the country of origin but this was not rigorously enforced until around 1921. Some exporters adopted the required wording before it became mandatory, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

In August 1921 it was ruled that 'Nippon' was no longer an acceptable indication and that only 'Japan' could be used for goods from that country. There were no imports from Japan between 1941-1945, for obvious reasons, and they didn't resume until the late summer of 1947. From then, the required marking was "Occupied Japan" or "Made in Occupied Japan" until 1949, at which time it was decreed that "Occupied Japan", "Made in Occupied Japan", "Made in Japan" or just "Japan" were all acceptable. That continued until 1952 when occupation ended and the requirement switched back to "Japan" or "Made in Japan".
So I think it could be older, then. Because it was found with older bottle fragments and pottery shards (old pieces of mason jar, etc). I don't believe this could have been kicked up from a newer layer when everything else I was finding was older. That'd be pretty cool.

Yes, the dog just says "Japan" on its side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back