James W. Tufts, Boston....Wheelbarrow

Joyce15448

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This silver wheelbarrow belonged to my uncles mother. She was born in the mid to late 1800's and her name was Blanche..married name Kanaga.
I imagine, at one time, it had corks on the sides closing up the keg on the wheelbarrow. On top of the wheelbarrow is inscribed Blanche Age Six Yrs. There are small flowers on either side of that inscription...looks like wheat stalks. On the underside it says, James W Tufts, Boston Warranted Quaddruple plate (or something like that) and a number, 1585. I thought it was 585 but is 1585. I have not used silver cleaner on it as I didn't know if I should or not. Has anyone seen anything like this? I know Tufts did tea sets, bowls, etc. but anything like this?

Thanks for any info you can give.
Joyce

Attachments

• Uncle Wards Mother, Blanche 003.JPG
    Uncle Wards Mother, Blanche 003.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Uncle Wards Mother, Blanche 002.JPG
    Uncle Wards Mother, Blanche 002.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Uncle Wards Mother, Blanche 004.JPG
    Uncle Wards Mother, Blanche 004.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 131
WOW That is super. I had no idea that's what it was. Now the inscription makes sense. Do you have any idea what it's worth?
This is very exciting and I thank you for your help.

Joyce

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thank you so much. You have been a lot of help. Not sure what I'll do with it. Probably just put it away in a drawer. Do you think I should use some silver polish on it or just let it be? I know that on coins it's better not to shine them up but I'm no expert on any of this. I'm just looking at all these family items and trying to figure what to do.
Joyce

Upvote 0
Thank you so much. You have been a lot of help. Not sure what I'll do with it. Probably just put it away in a drawer. Do you think I should use some silver polish on it or just let it be? I know that on coins it's better not to shine them up but I'm no expert on any of this. I'm just looking at all these family items and trying to figure what to do.
Joyce
No I would'nt clean it, The patina looks nice the way it is. If you decide to sell it, then the buyer has the choice to clean it if he wants.:)

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back