J.F.Richhart 5 cent business tokens

D

Deathpoet

I have recently found two so called store or business tokens while searching for Civil war relics,They are about the size of a nickel made of brass and marked as follows. (first one)J.F.R. slot machines and cigars and a large 5 on back.(second one) J.F. Richhart slot machines and cigars and a large 5 on back with the words Good for 5 cents in trade.Any informationon these would be a great help ,thanks very much

Well first off welcome to the treasurenet forum! :) I'm surprised no one has jumped on this yet,knowing how the peeps are on here when it comes to a good mystery relic or token in this case.Just one question for you,Were these tokens found anywhere in or near the vicinity of the Omaha Council Bluffs in Saunders county Nevada ;) Nebraska,more specifically the township of Wahoo?

Attachments

• ch5fifthwahoo.jpg
    ch5fifthwahoo.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 0
The second token is listed with a different spelling— J. F. RITCHHART— in the "Older Unidentified" section of Alpert & Smith's book on arcade and slot machine tokens. At the time of publication (1984), it was valued at $5.

Upvote 0
Hello,Thanks for the welcome! And info.Ok The two tokens were found by me on the Battlefield Of Cedar Creek Virginia,(on private property with owners permisson.They were found where i only find relics,nothing post civil war except shotgun shell hulls Thats why i was intrigued when i dug them. And the spelling is Ritchhart and not Richhart.Maybe a returning veteran lost them while visiting? Would like to know the time period when the tokens were made? thanks

Upvote 0
Found one genealogical entry for:

J. F. Ritchhart
9 Dec 1854
27 May 1908
Buried in Ashland Cemetery, Saunders County, Nebraska.

Further checking turned up an 1890 listing for "Ritchhart J F, loans notary, 2521 N." in South Omaha, Nebraska.

It is unclear whether these two individuals are the same.

Upvote 0
This token was listed as Maverick #9010 by the Token and Medal Society, but has yet to be attributed. Thanks for commenting on the differences in spelling as I see that the TAMS listing was missing the "t", so that will get corrected. I did a little poking around on Internet genealogy sites and found a John F. Ritchhart, born Dec 1852 who was listed in Lincoln, NE as "(something - can't I read) Proprietor Wholesale Cigars". He is the only Ritchhart with initials J. F. that I have found, and the occupation is promising. I will try to look at the census microfilm next time I am at our genealogical library to see if it can be read.

The token is probably from the 1900-1920 timeframe. The slot machine was invented around 1890 and became popular all across the country within the next few years. It is definitely not a Civil War era token. Also it is not at all unusual for trade tokens to migrate around the country.

And diggummup, don't you mean Nebraska rather than Nevada? I had never heard of confusing those two states, but it is probably done all the time. People always confuse Idaho with Iowa, Indiana, and Illinois, but I hadn't thought of other combinations.

John in ID

Upvote 0
idahotokens said:
And diggummup, don't you mean Nebraska rather than Nevada? I had never heard of confusing those two states, but it is probably done all the time. People always confuse Idaho with Iowa, Indiana, and Illinois, but I hadn't thought of other combinations.

John in ID
Doh! :o Open mouth and insert foot. ;D I do believe your right there John! Thanks for pointing that out.I'll edit it now.That's some good information you gave.The J.F.Richhart I found was listed in 1875 as a publisher of the "Independent", the local newspaper in Wahoo,Nebraska.He left the paper in 1876.What he done after that I don't know.BTW-the Richhart I found was spelled without the "T".

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back