Ivory brooch? And ivory necklace, with elephant carvings of the face/head.

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHere's two pieces of ivory to which I believe are real.
What are they worth idk.
They are passed down from my grandmother.

On the brooch it's got a sticker on the back stating its genuine and from Hong Kong

It's also got a gold clip. The necklace seems to be made of all the same piece of ivory . It's a little older looking and the brooch seems maybe newer.

I've got some jade aswell only a fifty cent piece size chunk of it carved into the Star of David and the chai symbol in Hebrew engraved on one side and a solid polished jade on the back side.
Really beautiful stuff.
Let me know what you guys think about these two pieces of ivory and can I sell this stuff legally?
Thanks in advance .. Help me!
Thanks. U can reach me by email also, [email protected]

It may have belonged to your grand mother but it isn't very old and not really worth much. It is sadly a fairly low grade tourist quality carving. In fact it is against the rules to sell on ebay, and illegal to sell anywhere in the states of NY.NJ. CA, and several others. If the proposed federal law regarding ivory products goes through this year it will be illegal to sell across state lines anywhere in the country.

Upvote 0
On Antiques Roadshow, they say to heat a needle and see if it goes into the "ivory". If real ivory it will not penetrate, but plastic will let the needle sink in.

Upvote 0
so your telling me these pieces are not worth anything looking into and should just be held onto for sentimental value??

I mean I wasn't planning on selling them right now but I was curious what they would be worth, what is its worth estimated worth in your honest opinion?

I just wanted to get an idea of what I had and what it would be worth if I did decide to sell it or trade it in.

also can u tell what grade,shape,and exact kind of ivory this is? im under the impression that there are many different types of ivory and that they make it out of bone and elephant tusk ?? or walrus?hippo? teeth? lol

I have no idea what im really talking about when it comes to this stuff obviously, but hopfully some of you guys/ladys on here can help me.
is this real ivory?
what it worth?
is it common?
is this stuff old?
if so, how old?
is it in good shape?
should I store this stuff somewhere special or is inside the box I received with my iPhone six plus fine? both pieces are in plastic Ziploc baggies inside my iPhone box placed in my closet.
any help would be appreciated. I can send more photo's if you guys need them. I had a hard time getting them to upload on here but I got it all figured out and now have access to a computer rather than just my phone now.
thank you!!

Upvote 0
Hong Kong has never made real ivory carvings like the brooch?
The necklace isn't from Hong Kong it's not marked

Hong Kong says it all. Fake. Ivory is too valuable on the world market to make a low quality pin out of it. The sentimental value is what counts here.

Upvote 0
The naysayers are incorrect. I would bet it is real ivory, there has been tons of ivory carved and sold in Hong Kong. It is the Chinese consumption of ivory that drives the poachers and is causing all these stupid no-sale laws here in America. Ivory really hasn't been that expensive and surely wasn't back in the early 1970s when I purchased legal tusk sections for $15.00 a pound. The piece in question and the necklace are most likely genuine elephant ivory, I could only be sure with a loupe in person. So to answer Brian, maybe fifty-a hundred bucks on the high side if it is legal to sell where you are, yes, it is common tourist grade carving, not real old, I'd say 1970s or newer, it is in good shape, and you just need to store it where there a no big fast temperature changes. A sock drawer would be fine or a bedroom closet.

Upvote 0
On Antiques Roadshow, they say to heat a needle and see if it goes into the "ivory". If real ivory it will not penetrate, but plastic will let the needle sink in.

IMO this is not a good suggestion from antiques roadshow. real ivory has a fine crosshatched pattern similar to guilloche engine turned engraving that cannot be replicated by imitators working in plastics. if you do the needle test on a celluloid or bakelite piece, you could damage it and harm its value as a vintage plastic piece. many plastics can be identified using heat-based tests, such as running under boiling water or creating friction by rubbing with your thumb. certain different plastics and organic materials have distinct smells.

that said, these appear to be genuine ivory tourist souvenir pieces 70s or so. you probably will not retire off of them. they will be hard to sell because of ivory laws.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back