Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSCN0688.jpg
    DSCN0688.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 453
It seems to me that gold should be much brighter. I have seen very high copper content gold that was a lot like what you have there. Do the pieces bend?
~Nash~

Upvote 0
It doesnt bend at all and is heavy.Its about 2in. by 4in.thanks

Upvote 0
aa battery said:
I found this at a local lake but i am not sure what it is.A coin dealer told me it wasnt gold but he had no idea what it was.My question is does copper form like this?

HI... I lightened up the pic and toned down the color a bit... is this close to the true color?

Tom

Attachments

• metal1.jpg
    metal1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 386
Upvote 0
Thats a little closer but not too light.Some of the younger members dont think it might be crystaline copper or gold combined ???

Upvote 0
ggel30_02b.jpg

I've never heard of copper crystal. Learn something here everyday... Another picture.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
aa battery said:
It doesnt bend at all and is heavy.Its about 2in. by 4in.thanks

It doesn't bend? Hmmm, weird. Sure looks like it would, or snap at one of the joints. Can you find a spot on it where you can try nicking it with a knife blade? If it can be then it could be copper. Also, will a magnet stick to it?

Here's a site for some photos of copper crystals. They don't seem to have one specific form. http://www.museum.mtu.edu/Gallery/copper.html

Upvote 0
aa battery, I see you're from CA. Did you find this thing in a lake in Nevada County? Copper was mined there in the 1870s or so. Also, in Del Norte County there are many streams that have copper mines along them. Might help us if we knew the general whereabouts of your find.

Upvote 0
It was found in Millerton lake when the lake was low.At the bottom of the lake there was a town named Friant in Fresno county.Theres only gold mines in the area no copper that i know of.I just tried a magnet on it and it wont stick. ???

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back