Its a ring. But.....

Mega

Feb 28, 2005
Virginia
Found this small ring at an old school turned house from the early 1900's. Im trying to figure out if its a junk ring, gold or silver. I was using the gti 2500 and the ring reads as a nickle (in the ground and air test) It has markings on the band but cant make then out. The ring does have a yellow tint to it. If someone wants i can send the pick which is 1.5 megs.

It looks like it says sterling but why would it read as a nickle. Help decide if i should put her in the treasure box or trash box :)

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 464
Says Sterling ?

I didn't know they Ever Plated rings with Silver, But Dan is Probably right.

And I agree, Still A Keeper :)

Congrats !

Attachments

• Increase.jpg
    Increase.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 467
Upvote 0
Does it really say "Sterling" ?
what I see I would believe to be Gold or some type of alow thereof.
I've dug many gold rings, many plated rings, junk rings, kids rings....
what makes you or anyone here think its not Gold ?
you said it reads like a nickel, right where gold should read.
Aluminum would read much higher, if it were truly plated then you would see in some of the smaller
areas on the ring, places where the plating starts to crumble or chip off of the primary metal.
Any area that has small cracks you would be able to determine 2 layers of metal instead of one,
I see cracks, but nothing indicating more than one metal.
Its not a really "GOLD" color looking ring, but this may not be anything more than the gold quality of the metal.
Prabably 10k which generaly gives a lighter gold color than 14k or 18k
Does any of this make sense ?
see what you think.
Richard
I see none of that here, all other known metals change there color,

Upvote 0
Nice looking ring whatever it's made of.Looks real whether gold or silver.Maybe the previous owner cut the band to size it themselves,sounds crazy but I remember doing it when I was a kid.Also the stone setting looks to be a halfway decent setting.If it's a cheapie it's a good looking cheapie!!!Nice find,good luck and H.H.-diggummup

Upvote 0
It clearly says sterling. My guess as to the strange signal may be due to it's mass or position in the ground. Also if a ring is broken it will give a signal as though it were a straight piece of metal like a nail. I don't fully understand this phenomena. Maybe someone else can explain this.

Upvote 0
clearly not gold,, our lowest k gold here in the uk is 9k and that comes out still really gold,, in fact as good as the day it went in,, gold is gold, if it had of all been a pinky colour i would have said rose gold,,,,.

Upvote 0
You have to know that the GTI 2500 doesn't read out like most detectors. I operate a 2500 and the last gold ring I found kept bumping from a nickel to a pull tab, but it was clearly labled 10k. The signal could have been partially masked by another object close by such as a pull tab. My uncle use to have a jewelry store and he had all kinds of mounts including sterling silver ones that were split that way so don't use that as a disqualifyer. I see no reason to believe it is anything other than sterling silver. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back