🔎 UNIDENTIFIED It's a pewter rait tail spoon but the symbol on the handle has me excited. Does anyone recognize it?!

VTSwinger

May 5, 2017
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PXL_20230716_231734031.jpg
PXL_20230716_231701396.jpg
PXL_20230716_231644995.jpg
d11e6a79-760d-46a5-b011-cbb1027215d3.jpg

Found in Vermont, several hundred yards off the shore of Lake Champlain.

Upvote 0
I see a coat of arms with the shield divided by chevrons and crowned. The crown appears to be a crown of nobility (coronet), rather than a Regal or Imperial crown and so, likely European.

Heraldic ‘ordinaries’ such as chevrons can be given various ‘treatments’ and when a chevron is represented as a ‘diminutive’ (smaller or thinner) it’s called a 'chevronel' or ‘chevronet’, often with two or more stacked on top of one another. So here we have “two chevronels, stacked” as in the last illustration below:

Chevrons.jpg

The divided field seems to have five(?) devices arranged in an arc in the upper field, and four devices stacked ‘one on three’ in the lower field. If the arms have any proper heraldic significance (as opposed to being a fantasy armorial) then determining what those devices are would be key to identifying what the arms represent or to whom they belonged.

As far as I can tell, with a bit of enhancement, they’re not simple ‘pellets’, or at least not all of them. The central device in the upper set looks to be larger and of a different form to the others for example. There are all kinds of possibilities… miniature rosettes and other emblems which would narrow down the nature of the arms.

Enhanced.jpg

It’s possible that this is a family armorial (with little chance of tracking it down unless the devices can be identified). Chevrons were usually granted to those who had participated in some noble enterprise, accomplished some work of faithful service, or had built churches, castles, fortifications etc. but also widely appear in town and city arms, especially in Britain and France. I’m more inclined to think it may be a provincial/city/town armorial but not British as far as I know. Assuming the spoon is pewter, I checked for likely possibilities in France, Belgium and the Netherlands (Chevrons are rarely used in German heraldry) but didn’t find anything promising. There are literally thousands of them though.

Last edited:
Upvote 8
The rat tail was applied to reinforce the joint of the bowl and handle. Examples of rat tail spoons can be found in Hanoverian spoon manufactured during the period 1710-1730. I have no idea about the crowned image though I buy into Red-Coats suggestion if may be a family armorial.
Don in SoCal.

Upvote 3
It was lost when relatively new, you can tell because the bowl has not been worn down on one side. Pewter spoons wore down fairly quickly due to the action of stirring, the ware pattern being on the opposite side to whatever hand (left or right) used it predominantly. Just an observation.
tm83hcb9ows51.jpg

Upvote 2
I see a coat of arms with the shield divided by chevrons and crowned. The crown appears to be a crown of nobility (coronet), rather than a Regal or Imperial crown and so, likely European.

Heraldic ‘ordinaries’ such as chevrons can be given various ‘treatments’ and when a chevron is represented as a ‘diminutive’ (smaller or thinner) it’s called a ‘chevronet’, often with two or more stacked on top of one another. So here we have “two chevronets, stacked” as in the last illustration below:

View attachment 2094351

The divided field seems to have five(?) devices arranged in an arc in the upper field, and four devices stacked ‘one on three’ in the lower field. If the arms have any proper heraldic significance (as opposed to being a fantasy armorial) then determining what those devices are would be key to identifying what the arms represent or to whom they belonged.

As far as I can tell, with a bit of enhancement, they’re not simple ‘pellets’, or at least not all of them. The central device in the upper set looks to be larger and of a different form to the others for example. There are all kinds of possibilities… miniature rosettes and other emblems which would narrow down the nature of the arms.

View attachment 2094352

It’s possible that this is a family armorial (with little chance of tracking it down unless the devices can be identified). Chevrons were usually granted to those who had participated in some noble enterprise, accomplished some work of faithful service, or had built churches, castles, fortifications etc. but also widely appear in town and city arms, especially in Britain and France. I’m more inclined to think it may be a provincial/city/town armorial but not British as far as I know. Assuming the spoon is pewter, I checked for likely possibilities in France, Belgium and the Netherlands (Chevrons are rarely used in German heraldry) but didn’t find anything promising. There are literally thousands of them though.
Thanks for all the info! I've been browsing heraldry sites and you've provided me with (at the very least) some more verbage to narrow my browsing. Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the info! I've been browsing heraldry sites and you've provided me with (at the very least) some more verbage to narrow my browsing. Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out.

You're welcome, and good luck with the searching.

Note that I amended my reply slightly. The term 'chevronet' is also sometimes expressed as 'chevronel' and I didn't notice that the reference picture I provided is labelled using the latter term.

Upvote 1
Columbia University? School itself goes back to 1755, but they didn't adopt the chevron crest until 1949. But it may be a clue/lead.

246-2466268_columbia-university-logo-nyu-columbia-university-crest-png.png

Upvote 0
Somehow it reminds me of a boy scout badge?

I put it into a photo filter. It doesn't appear to be a Chevron, more like an upside down "Y." Or circle with upside doen peace sign?

Attachments

• imageedit_5_5909942762.jpg
    imageedit_5_5909942762.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 21
  • imageedit_12_6060526112.jpg
    imageedit_12_6060526112.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 24
  • imageedit_17_2053761310.jpg
    imageedit_17_2053761310.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Upvote 0