Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Whoops picture got left off 2_ID_please.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could be a luggage ID tag. I have found a couple that are close to that

Dig until your arm falls off

Upvote 0
Hmm sounds possible, would be great if could connect it with an actual person from the old days. They don't make em like that anymore, built to last!

Upvote 0
Update found some scribing on the tags back !!!

Didn't think there was anything on the back but was looking at the tag and noted some faint number so I dusted the back with some talc powder. And look now, can anyone make out the writing?

spangler writing backside.JPG

Upvote 0
k thanks guys, no idea why they put those numbers on back.

Upvote 0
Looks to me like October 9, 1938.

Upvote 0
Looks like a few tags I found locally . I was told they are COAL TAGS . Not sure how they were used though .

Upvote 0
XLTer said:
Looks like a few tags I found locally . I was told they are COAL TAGS . Not sure how they were used though .

Xlter... I live in a area where coal mining has been popular since the turn of the century . I have dug probably 50 coal tags. Yes indeed they do look exactly like this one. Every tag ive dug just had a stamped number though.

Upvote 0
I was told this.... Each miner had a number and they had their own tags with that specific number. When they inspected a coal mining cart they were to hang the tag on it.

Upvote 0
where i have not seen one of these in person i have seen several movies ,, and we all know movies never lie right ?
any way from what i have seen they used these tags when they started there shift , they placed them on a board with pegs as they went down in the mine , and when they came back up they removed there tag , that way people knew who was down in the mine.
each tag had the persons name and ID number on it.

Upvote 0
Very informative posts guys . Yes ATpro5 , mine have only had a stamped # also . Never had one with a name on it .

Upvote 0
Thanks for the "Coal Tag" I.D. guys !!! :headbang:

Upvote 0
Watch the movie October Sky and you will see the coal miners hanging their tags on a board before entering the mine.

Upvote 0
It could also be a tool check.heres one I found. Mine says Taylor Colquitt Co. Which was a company from the 20's in my area. See if there's an old company with that name.

image-1083911209.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back