✅ SOLVED it wasnt left all at once

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, flat black pinpointer lost in the flat black woods. custom digger for privet and poison ivy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I over cleaned this one. it appears to be hand made. It was found at the same depth and location as an early 1800's early 1900's stirrup, and the 2 pots i found underground. (folks say manufacture mid to late 1800's)they last a long time:) still have alot to clean up,need to stop diggin.......not. SANY0053.JPG object top right.. the other right... oh hell top left. the thing with five hammer spots!

SANY0059.JPG

Upvote 0
I see a buggy step, and the item with the pointed end and a hole for a handle is a blacksmith punch, used for punching holes in red hot iron using a hammer rather than a drill. The staple thing with the dents looks like it might have been attached to wood, and was intended to have something that clicked into the hole in order to adjust the amount of what ever was needing adjustment, like a belt on a pulley. Perhaps a lever would pull a tension wheel tighter and click into the hole??? or maybe it's for a latch on a bin opening to adjust the opening. Being found with a blacksmith punch, perhaps the smith had a home made power hammer he was adjusting a belt on. Who knows, you might not have enough of the item to ever know the intended use, except it sure looks like it was driven into wood. Blacksmiths were ingenious at making home made tools, I've seen some really interesting blacksmith made stuff to satisfy specific needs of that man.
1 punch.jpg1 punchA.JPG
The first picture shows one way a punch is used. Sometimes the smith works with a helper called a "striker," and the smith holds the red hot item with tongs, and holds the punch, and the striker hits the punch. The second photo shows some blacksmith home made punches with iron handles. Like I said, some of those guys are ingenious about what they come up with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see a buggy step, and the item with the pointed end and a hole for a handle is a blacksmith punch, used for punching holes in red hot iron using a hammer rather than a drill. The staple thing with the dents looks like it might have been attached to wood, and was intended to have something that clicked into the hole in order to adjust the amount of what ever was needing adjustment, like a belt on a pulley. Perhaps a lever would pull a tension wheel tighter and click into the hole??? or maybe it's for a latch on a bin opening to adjust the opening. Being found with a blacksmith punch, perhaps the smith had a home made power hammer he was adjusting a belt on. Who knows, you might not have enough of the item to ever know the intended use, except it sure looks like it was driven into wood. Blacksmiths were ingenious at making home made tools, I've seen some really interesting blacksmith made stuff to satisfy specific needs of that man.
View attachment 943958View attachment 943959
The first picture shows one way a punch is used. Sometimes the smith works with a helper called a "striker," and the smith holds the red hot item with tongs, and holds the punch, and the striker hits the punch. The second photo shows some blacksmith home made punches with iron handles. Like I said, some of those guys are ingenious about what they come up with.
very ingenious indeed.... hinge? knocker?Snapshot_20140211_2.JPGSnapshot_20140211_1.JPGSnapshot_20140211.JPG

Upvote 0
I've seen horseshoes done like that before, and they were used as hinges on a barn door. If I knew where to look,
I also took pictures of them on the door, but, do you have any idea how many pictures a person acquires in 76 years???

Upvote 0
Have found many grapefruit sized pieces of blue iron slag. Cleaned by soda blasting.Snapshot_20140214.JPG Did blacksmiths of the day have a foundry too?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back