It does not happen often.. but another score this weekend

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This lot cost $7.00.. There are 2 gold earrings [14k].. But they must be hollow as together they weigh only one gram

The silver sugar vessel is interesting.. It is 800 silver.

But can anyone decipher the lettering on the back.. It says 34VC 800

and then what appears to be a chicken [?] as a logo.. I photoshopped it so the image is far darker than the original.. but with better contrast
20230716_153219.jpg
20230716_153825.jpg

Many thanks

Typically 800 silver means German so itā€™s a place to start. The unique hallmark should make identification fairly easy

Thatā€™s an Italian mark for 800 fine silver. The ā€˜VCā€™ is for the town of Vercelli and ā€˜34ā€™ is the registration number of the maker, listed as: ā€œMazza Alfredo & C. S.n.c.ā€ of Via Ivrea, 14 in Vercelli. They registered on 8th October 1962 and last mention of them being active was on 31st December 1971.

Good score for seven bucks.

PS: 800 is NOT a good indicator of German origin silver. Multiple European countries used that standard.

i should of been more clear. 800 is a good indicator of German origin silver.
.800 was used in many countries, as the following states European mainland.
Coin silver was used a lot in SE Asia as well for jewelry (India especially)

.800 silver is an alloy of silver that is 800 parts silver and 200 parts other metals. It is also referred to as International Coin Silver. This alloy was common in the 19th and early 20th centuries on the European mainland but was not used in jewelry in the United States. 800 silver was the alloy of choice for pieces decorated with niello because it can withstand high firing temperatures better than alloys with a higher silver content.

Thatā€™s an Italian mark for 800 fine silver. The ā€˜VCā€™ is for the town of Vercelli and ā€˜34ā€™ is the registration number of the maker, listed as: ā€œMazza Alfredo & C. S.n.c.ā€ of Via Ivrea, 14 in Vercelli. They registered on 8th October 1962 and last mention of them being active was on 31st December 1971.

PS: 800 is NOT a good indicator of German origin silver. Multiple European countries used that standard.
Awesome response!

I do not know how you manage RC.. but what you do is nothing less than superb.. Many thanks for doing that research for me
Micheal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back