Is this silver

M

MAZZA

Attachments

• buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0
I've been told that there was once a kit you could buy that had some chemicals you could use to determine if an artifact was precious metal, but I haven't been able to find anyone who sells one now. I read an article on the net that said you could use nitric acid to test it but didn't say just how or what you would be looking for. I have a "nugget" I think is silver and short of having it assayed can't find out.

First Presbeterian Nursing School - New Canaan, CT
Freemont Parents nursery school - Fremont, CA
First Parish Nursery School - Norwell, MA

The possibilitys are endless, Does appear to be silver though.

Thank you both for your replies.....will have to delve a bit deeper now
Thanks ;D

Sorry, I'm no help on this one! was it tarnished when you found it? does a magnet stick to it? These answers could help! Anyway, what a great find! Welcome to the forum, we look forward to your future posts! 8)

Was it tarnished when you found it? How did you clean it? Most silver objects have a stamp like '.925' or 'sterling', though I have found some with no marks or (rarely) other marks '.980'. The easiest non-destructive way to test it is to do a density test. (Find out how to do this under a previous post -- search for 'density test' in the search box under your 'user info'.) Silver has a density of 10.5-- heavier than iron, zinc, copper, bronze, or brass, lighter than lead.

You can also test it with a small amount of dilute sodium sulfide solution, which turns silver and lead black on contact. You can figure out the difference by rubbing the metal lightly on a piece of white paper. Lead will mark the paper with a light gray streak when you rub it, and silver shouldn't do that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back