Is this silver? Need help with hallmarks...

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image-1237410364.jpg
    image-1237410364.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 169
  • image-1485181331.jpg
    image-1485181331.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 231
The hallmarks are not British or Irish but they look like silver hallmarks, possibly German. I don't know much about European hallmarks so can't help there. The top hallmark appears to have writing in it which makes me suspicious because some early plated silver used to have markings added that look like hallmarks to make the item look like solid silver. having said that, they look like genuine hallmarks to me.

Upvote 0
Frankyg said:
The hallmarks are not British or Irish but they look like silver hallmarks, possibly German. I don't know much about European hallmarks so can't help there. The top hallmark appears to have writing in it which makes me suspicious because some early plated silver used to have markings added that look like hallmarks to make the item look like solid silver. having said that, they look like genuine hallmarks to me.

To me they look like Kaufman Bro's and Bondi New York city around 1908

Upvote 0
I agree. My first guess is psuedo hallmarks. In others words fake hallmarks meant to decieve. Thats my very quick first impression.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses, although I'm still lost as to what the marks mean lol.

I can't find any info on Kaufman bros or Bondi. I am curious about doing silversmithing and making my own jewelry, maybe I should just do a silver test on the spoon. I have a lot of scrap silver I am interested in melting down.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back