Is this period axe head ?

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Found awhile back at cavalry site vacinity. I tried cleaning it best I could. The back has letters I think, what are your thoughts? It appears to have the reinforced edge. I posted it on civil war talk and didnā€™t really get any answers. Maybe thereā€™s no way to really tell if it was a camp axe or not.

Attachments

• IMG_6238.jpeg
    IMG_6238.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6237.jpeg
    IMG_6237.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6241.jpeg
    IMG_6241.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 3
This might help a little.
Nice recovery.
Screenshot_20240817_175105_Chrome.jpg

Guessing itā€™s Kentucky or New Jersey style
Need to figure out what other mark besides the S.
I have a reference for maker marks I'll check in the AM if nobody does an ID

Need to figure out what other mark besides the S.
I have a reference for maker marks I'll check in the AM if nobody does an ID
Ok thanks itā€™s driving me insane , I just wish some of my items were ā€œclearā€

Found awhile back at cavalry site vacinity. I tried cleaning it best I could. The back has letters I think, what are your thoughts? It appears to have the reinforced edge. I posted it on civil war talk and didnā€™t really get any answers. Maybe thereā€™s no way to really tell if it was a camp axe or not.
I dug this one from the howlett line near hopewell/chester va. To me it looks similar to yours (please weigh in) other than being ā€œbrokenā€ by what I assume was using it as a hammer. Not sure if cw era or not, but it came from the middle of several cw relics

Attachments

• IMG_3177.jpeg
    IMG_3177.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3178.jpeg
    IMG_3178.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3179.jpeg
    IMG_3179.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
I dug this one from the howlett line near hopewell/chester va. To me it looks similar to yours (please weigh in) other than being ā€œbrokenā€ by what I assume was using it as a hammer. Not sure if cw era or not, but it came from the middle of several cw relics
Iā€™ve read if the back itā€™s smashed in it was used as a hammer tool in camps. Thatā€™s one sign it could be troop axe.

Yours also appears to have that added edge, I think they were steel.

Iā€™ve read if the back itā€™s smashed in it was used as a hammer tool in camps. Thatā€™s one sign it could be troop axe.
I have several that were bought new (by my family) in the early 1900s that look the same. That mushrooming is iron on iron (or something else hard) contact. Ours came from using an axe to drive wedges, which is not what they were designed for.

I have several that were bought new (by my family) in the early 1900s that look the same. That mushrooming is iron on iron (or something else hard) contact. Ours came from using an axe to drive wedges, which is not what they were designed for.
Check this out, this smaller one was at same area. You can see the hand forged in this for sure

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpeg
    IMG_3938.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3939.jpeg
    IMG_3939.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back