Is this part of a button

Mduece

Jun 14, 2014
South West NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a location where an old parking lot is being torn up. Site was originally a country store, then a bingo hall. Not sure exactly how old the building was before it was torn down but at least early 1900's. It's real thin and light has two pieces on back that would have held it to something else. Was thinking maybe the front of a two piece button maybe. Any thoughts are appreciated

image-766644680.jpg

image-2213061528.jpg

Looks more like a piece of horse tack or something to me. The two piece buttons I see are not joined that way. I am sure we will get some of the experts to chime in who know WAY more about it than I do. Anxious to see what they say. Congrats on whatever it is and HH

Upvote 0
TNGuns is correct. The two bent-over "prongs" on the edge of the brass disc's back prove it was attached to leather, or in fewer cases, to thick fabric. For example, 20th Century horseharness decorations have that same attachment-form. The number of prongs/tabs varies from two to four, depending on the size of the ornamental disc or plate. See the photo below showing a World War One era US Army horsegear accouterment emblem's back. The other photo shows it "in position" on the leather horsegear. (Also seen on leather US Army horse-blinders from that era.)

Attachments

• horsegear_US_accouterment-emblem_three-tabs_early-20th-century_backview_1.jpg
    horsegear_US_accouterment-emblem_three-tabs_early-20th-century_backview_1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 66
  • horsegear_US_accouterment-emblem_three-tabs_on-harness-with-reinguides_view6_Ebay_403259957.jpg
    horsegear_US_accouterment-emblem_three-tabs_on-harness-with-reinguides_view6_Ebay_403259957.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info guns and cannonball. I appreciate it. Either of you ever see this style before? I'm thinking it's something civilian and not military in any way. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info guns and cannonball. I appreciate it. Either of you ever see this style before? I'm thinking it's something civilian and not military in any way. Thanks again

My guess would be civilian. Most items that are military are marked with numerous identifiable military emblems. Again we are blessed to have members who have spent the majority of their lives dealing with such, that I would wait for cannonball to confirm. Civil war era sites often yield both as many troops used what they had or could forage (confiscate) in horse tack, clothing, and weapons.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back